Summer After MS-I ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some good ideas for things to do the summer after MS-I?

I really don't want to lie around for 3 months, and I don't really want to just work for the heck of it.

Are there any job or volunteer opportunities for medical students over the summer?

I've already done the whole hospital volunteer and paramedic thing, but I'm looking for something that is specific for medical students.

Thanks for your ideas.

Members don't see this ad.

OSUdoc08 said:
What are some good ideas for things to do the summer after MS-I?

I really don't want to lie around for 3 months, and I don't really want to just work for the heck of it.

Are there any job or volunteer opportunities for medical students over the summer?

I've already done the whole hospital volunteer and paramedic thing, but I'm looking for something that is specific for medical students.

Thanks for your ideas.

borrow the money and get out of the country, anywhere but Rome and keep an eye on your the camera while eating at the little diner a block from the Pantheon..........

get a summer research job... this will come in handy when you are applying for residency. Also you can learn something without hurting your brain.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why don't you go travel? Half the people does it and the other half wish they've done it... You want to do research??? You have the rest of your life to do research... you want to be a good medical student ?? You will have another 2-3 years for it... you want to get into a good residency... BE a good student and learn beyond just the text books.

There is more to life than just "being" a medical student.. it doesnt mean all you have to do is work... Go out and enjoy your last free summer...!!!! I've known plenty of students who did research over the summer after MS1 and boy do they regret it... I traveled and enjoy my time.. .most people do.

Goodluck! =) If you don't have enough $$$... BORROW SOME! you'll be making plenty of later on in life. Time is one thing money can't buy... and you might not have as much free time as you will have to travel. Enjoy!

Australia.

probably the best decision I've made in my life so far.

DireWolf said:
Australia.

probably the best decision I've made in my life so far.

lol, was there more than 1 in your class that went to Australia? I was only aware of the one who ranked a movie poster on fenrez, but then again, I don't go to class that often.....

My roomies who are currently MS 2's at my school spent a week (or two, I'm not sure) volunteering in Ecuador with a doctor. I'm not too sure if they worked with a DO or an MD, but they got a ton of hands-on experience via that route. Another club we have did a medical mission to Africa. From what I've heard, it cost around $2,000 for everything -- ticket, board/lodging, and spending money. Google "international volunteer opportunities" or something along those lines and see what you end up with. Good luck!

-N