Summer after MS1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Speedy6684

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm wondering what to do with my summer. A lot of my classmates are going abroad and working in clinics, etc. I don't have the cash for that so it's not really an option.

So I'm wondering what should I do with my summer so that I can both enjoy myself and do something meaningful (read both meaningful and not a total resume wash). I'm working on a clinical research project, and I'm continuing my clinical hours each week. I was thinking of doing something totally random and non-medical. Any ideas? It would have to be fairly local and inexpensive. I can afford to do anything that doesn't involve me traveling far and paying for accommodations.

Any thoughts???

Members don't see this ad.

Golf, beer, relax.

Find a free clinic, they're always looking for people to help out (probably need to be in a bigger city for best results).

Members don't see this ad :)
I spent about 20 hours a week doing clinical research ("the resume builder")...also took a scuba diving class and a spanish class at my local community college ("fun yet productive"). Also did a bunch of really cool camping and climbing trips on the weekends with old college friends. Aaah to rewind a year back in time :)

I'm doing the research thing, and finding ways to clear my head and get in the right mindstate for MS2.

I'm doing a clinical research project here in town at a different med school. Its great because I am doing research and getting clinical experience at the same time. Plus its not too stressful.

Im doing this...

31146_519014968819_113800409_30805463_4058231_n.jpg

and this...

31146_519014953849_113800409_30805460_6563053_n.jpg

...oh yeah, and working 55+ hrs a week doing a clinical externship. Working like a dog, but I am learning a LOT. Exhausting, but fun.

I'm doing a clinical research project here in town at a different med school. Its great because I am doing research and getting clinical experience at the same time. Plus its not too stressful.

I'm also doing a clinical research project- but I went back to my hometown instead of staying at my med school since the specialty I wanted to research in doesn't have a department at TTU.

I found my research mentor to be very flexible with timing (ie I can vacation, leave early, etc) and it letting me do most of the project on my own plus have clinic days with her.

I spend about 20 hours a week drinking. 10 hours swimming. I play tennis for like 5-10 hours a week. I sleep 12 hours a day. i goof around on my computer for at least 3 hours a day. I hang out with friends (lived in Columbus all my life, so there's always someone I'm hanging out with). I'm also catching up with old friends. I also go bar hopping every other day. I started reading a novel and will probably finish another 3 or four of them. I love reading at the pool. Will be going down to kentucky in a few weeks to rent house boats with a huge group of friends. Will be fishing afterwards. Will be doing so many other things I can't seem to think of right now.

As you may have noticed, I am planning on doing nothing related to medicine, or science. Absolutely nothing :)

I spend about 20 hours a week drinking. 10 hours swimming. I play tennis for like 5-10 hours a week. I sleep 12 hours a day. i goof around on my computer for at least 3 hours a day. I hang out with friends (lived in Columbus all my life, so there's always someone I'm hanging out with). I'm also catching up with old friends. I also go bar hopping every other day. I started reading a novel and will probably finish another 3 or four of them. I love reading at the pool. Will be going down to kentucky in a few weeks to rent house boats with a huge group of friends. Will be fishing afterwards. Will be doing so many other things I can't seem to think of right now.

As you may have noticed, I am planning on doing nothing related to medicine, or science. Absolutely nothing :)

This is heartwarming. :thumbup:

This is absolutely the "cool" answer. If you know that you want to go into a field that is not competitive, I would agree with this advice.

However, for those of you that have an idea that you may want to go into a very competitive field (Derm, RadOnc, Plastics), please get involved in substantial research. At the same time, keep in mind that the research needs to be field-specific (i.e. attendings on the RadOnc interview trail don't care if you did Derm research, and vice versa).

For those of you over-achievers out there (differentiated from gunners b/c I would happily help a classmate that asks me for help), I would spend about 4 hours/morning reading First Aid and Goljan. This is not asking much b/c you have from noon on to do whatever you want. Furthermore, I enjoyed doing this b/c I felt like I was still being intellectually stimulated and that the synapses between the neurons in my brain were not rapidly disintegrating. But, to each his/her own.

Members don't see this ad :)
However, for those of you that have an idea that you may want to go into a very competitive field (Derm, RadOnc, Plastics), please get involved in substantial research. At the same time, keep in mind that the research needs to be field-specific (i.e. attendings on the RadOnc interview trail don't care if you did Derm research, and vice versa).

How about EM, gas, or "just" radiology?

Working on establishing a free clinic
Trying to learn a few things I think I didn't really learn well during MS1/review
Scrub in on some cases with faculty
Try and find something I can do for a research project (lot of ideas but no direction)

How about EM, gas, or "just" radiology?

It depends. If you want to match into one of the top 10 programs in the country in any of these fields, research will certainly help but is not required. However, in none of those three fields is research an unofficial requirement like Derm, RadOnc and Plastics.

It depends. If you want to match into one of the top 10 programs in the country in any of these fields, research will certainly help but is not required. However, in none of those three fields is research an unofficial requirement like Derm, RadOnc and Plastics.

What about fields like ortho and ENT?

This is absolutely the "cool" answer. If you know that you want to go into a field that is not competitive, I would agree with this advice.

For those of you over-achievers out there (differentiated from gunners b/c I would happily help a classmate that asks me for help), I would spend about 4 hours/morning reading First Aid and Goljan. This is not asking much b/c you have from noon on to do whatever you want. Furthermore, I enjoyed doing this b/c I felt like I was still being intellectually stimulated and that the synapses between the neurons in my brain were not rapidly disintegrating. But, to each his/her own.

Congrats on matching in radonc! I can't imagine ever doing that.

Correct, I am not going into anything competitive. Obviously I could change my mind in 3 years, but I really really want to do peds.

Overheard a classmate about a week ago telling his friend that he thinks that girls should not go into medicine because they can't work the same hours as guys. He then went on saying that if a girl "insists" on going into medicine, then she should go into peds.

Glad I'm perpetuating the stereotype! :D

I disagree. Chances are you're not going to be doing anything "substantial" over the summer anyhow. Better to do a bit of research consistently over all of 2nd year than to spend a few months in the summer doing it. Enjoy your time off.

I disagree. Chances are you're not going to be doing anything "substantial" over the summer anyhow. Better to do a bit of research consistently over all of 2nd year than to spend a few months in the summer doing it. Enjoy your time off.

Actually, you are wrong because:

a. If you are willing to work hard for 40-50 hours/week for ten weeks you will get a lot done.

b. The idea is to get multiple projects started in the summer after MS1 because research projects often take a long time to be completed. Why? In many situations the rate-limiting factor is your preceptor/research mentor taking the time to make the necessary corrections, changes and suggestions to make the project/paper ready to be submitted. They are often very busy with other research projects and clinical responsibilities. Therefore, your project is often put "on the back-burner".

Really? Ten weeks to get something substantial done? Our definitions of substantial are entirely different then.

Furthermore, starting two and a half months earlier, really is not going to make a difference in the long run.

You can stop stressing medical students out. Let them have their summer off, they have earned it.

Really? Ten weeks to get something substantial done? Our definitions of substantial are entirely different then.

Furthermore, starting two and a half months earlier, really is not going to make a difference in the long run.

You can stop stressing medical students out. Let them have their summer off, they have earned it.

Look, I have nothing to gain here. I am just a resident that matched into one of the most competitive specialties in medicine and so I would like to offer my advice to those who have similar aspirations.

For those of you who want to match into a very competitive field, you can take the advice of someone who matched into one of the top 10 RadOnc programs in the country, knows what program directors are looking for in a potential resident and is an author on 4 published papers (3 primary author, 1 secondary author). Or, you can listen to one of your fellow medical students...it's your call.

Best of luck to all of you. :)

For those of you over-achievers out there (differentiated from gunners b/c I would happily help a classmate that asks me for help),I would spend about 4 hours/morning reading First Aid and Goljan. This is not asking much b/c you have from noon on to do whatever you want. Furthermore, I enjoyed doing this b/c I felt like I was still being intellectually stimulated and that the synapses between the neurons in my brain were not rapidly disintegrating. But, to each his/her own.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd THIS is why I don't want to pursue a super-competitive residency...no offense :)

I acknowledge and appreciate the research advice. Just because you sound excessively intense and neurotic doesn't make you wrong. However, this advice contradicts dozens upon dozens of residents and attendings I've met this year. As you said, your advice seems most applicable to a very few number of fields and programs. Clearly substantial research can never hurt, but IN THE LONG RUN, most students will be better served by doing nothing. It's 8 weeks. 36 more to go...

Last edited:
Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd THIS is why I don't want to pursue a super-competitive residency...no offense :)

:laugh:

SDN is a strange place. On one hand, most of my specialty interests lean a little more towards being competitive than not -- gas, EM to a lesser extent, etc. -- but some of the posts I see here make me worry sometimes about relying on landing a solid enough Step score and not pissing off all my evaluators come M3.

I'm doing a four week unpaid internship at the Dept of Orthopedics in a local hospital with a very well known knee replacement surgeon and working on an ongoing clinical study. That takes up my time from about 7 am to 3 pm every day. After that I go swimming, I chill with friends, and I relax. Then I'm going to India for a month afterwards to visit family and spiritual reasons.

Bottom line, do what is best for your own sanity, and take what others say (me included) with a grain of salt. And don't listen to the BS that you can 'only' do research during this time. People write case reports and do ongoing research all through their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years. Many people take a full one month elective during their fourth years to do intense research, a chart review, etc. and do just fine in terms of being competitive for a variety of residencies. I'm only spending about a month doing this internship but it's already accomplished exactly what I need--some connections, a project, and I get to watch a ton of really really cool surgeries.

As for getting into competitive residencies... yes there are some residencies which almost require research in order to get in (rad-onc, derm, plastics, orthopedics, and ophtho off the top of my head) but you do NOT have to spend your only summer doing it if you don't feel comfortable doing it. I would get a side project during your MS III/IV years (which is easy if you're doing it unpaid) and work on it--and in fact that looks good, showing you can balance your clinical school experience with other things. I know at least two people who matched Ophtho doing research at the beginning of 4th year and at least one who matched Rad-onc doing a clinical internship for a month during his fourth year. Just keep your grades and Step 1 scores up, and part of what will help that is a mental break during your summer to gather your thoughts and prepare for second year--maybe even review a bit beforehand so you don't feel lost going straight into second year.

:laugh:

SDN is a strange place. On one hand, most of my specialty interests lean a little more towards being competitive than not -- gas, EM to a lesser extent, etc. -- but some of the posts I see here make me worry sometimes about relying on landing a solid enough Step score and not pissing off all my evaluators come M3.

SDN tends to be skewed toward the overachievers (not necessarily a bad thing!).

SDN tends to be skewed toward the overachievers (not necessarily a bad thing!).

For sure! I was never like that when I was applying to med school -- was very well aware that all the 95%ile people were the exception, not the rule. I seem to have forgotten that along the way. :luck:

For sure! I was never like that when I was applying to med school -- was very well aware that all the 95%ile people were the exception, not the rule. I seem to have forgotten that along the way. :luck:

it's easy to forget - there's so many on SDN it seems! :laugh:

But it's good - checking in to see where they are here helps me gauge how I'm doing too.

What if you only have a month between MS1 and MS2? Our school has a short summer break. Would research still be feasible? Thanks in advance.

You can do research through the year if you really want to. Just budget your time.

Hey All,

I'm wondering what to do with my summer. A lot of my classmates are going abroad and working in clinics, etc. I don't have the cash for that so it's not really an option.

So I'm wondering what should I do with my summer so that I can both enjoy myself and do something meaningful (read both meaningful and not a total resume wash). I'm working on a clinical research project, and I'm continuing my clinical hours each week. I was thinking of doing something totally random and non-medical. Any ideas? It would have to be fairly local and inexpensive. I can afford to do anything that doesn't involve me traveling far and paying for accommodations.

Any thoughts???

Some MS3's I'm friends with told me that they enjoyed most of their summer, or did clinical research.Then, during the end of summer, they learned some pharm and path.

They mentioned watching the Kaplan pharm and path vids were a nice passive way to warm up for school

Look, I have nothing to gain here. I am just a resident that matched into one of the most competitive specialties in medicine and so I would like to offer my advice to those who have similar aspirations.

For those of you who want to match into a very competitive field, you can take the advice of someone who matched into one of the top 10 RadOnc programs in the country, knows what program directors are looking for in a potential resident and is an author on 4 published papers (3 primary author, 1 secondary author). Or, you can listen to one of your fellow medical students...it's your call.

Best of luck to all of you. :)

My school's ortho program is top-notch, and they take 4 students/yr, and for sure, 2 of them never published and 1 of them never did research until the year he applied. maybe rad is diff, but please! 3 primary authors, if it's clinical research where you interview and sort thr charts, then maybe. basic science...in your dreams!

My school's ortho program is top-notch, and they take 4 students/yr, and for sure, 2 of them never published and 1 of them never did research until the year he applied. maybe rad is diff, but please! 3 primary authors, if it's clinical research where you interview and sort thr charts, then maybe. basic science...in your dreams!

Yeah, it takes something like a good 3-4 years of continuing research in basic sciences to get published :p. On the other hand you can churn out case reports and make graphs/charts and whatnot like crazy if you try.