Summer after OMS-I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Total180

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I know it might be a little early to be thinking about this summer, but I was anyway....Everyone says to enjoy the (basically) last summer we will have free, and not do anything medically related, but I wanted to do something productive. I was trying to think of things that would be a.) productive b.) fun and c.) maybe would make me some money...haha. I am pretty set on peds, so I was thinking of maybe trying to get a job as a camp counselor at a weight loss camp. I love kids, and I think it would be a ton of fun, as well as providing me the opportunity to do something really beneficial for the children. Do you guys think this is a stupid idea, or something worthwhile to consider?

Members don't see this ad.

Do something you love. Because this will be the last summer vacation in awhile.

If you can mix your pleasure with looking good for residency, then that is even better. You like kids, so why not travel to another country and volunteer in a clinic that treats mostly moms and their children.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the Doctors Without Borders program would fulfill all of those, but make sure to stay away from the dangerous areas of the world since there was recently a shooting incident in Somalia!

Its never to early to think about a good break. Do something you love and then do more of that till the break is over. Live it up!

I think that's a good idea... just make sure you enjoy that summer though. It'll be last time you'll have that much time off in a row before you'll have some time before internship.

Its not too early! You should be thinking about the MONTHS vacation on a daily basis. Last one of your life :) Im a fourth year going for a competitive specialty and sort-of wished I would have done research. But I loved sitting on the couch at moms and teaching fitness classes instead. Do whats fun!!!