• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

GTea

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2004
CA
Status (Visible)
I cannot believe I have gone through all of my pre-med years and application process without knowing of this forum until now!! I wish I'd known--its so useful and addicting...

Anyway, I recently received an email from UW (University of Wisconsin-madison) about their summer anatomy course. Apparently, we have an option of taking anatomy in the summer so that fall semester will not be too overwhelming. Personally, I think it is a great idea. But the thing is it starts on June 1st and the class is limited to about 30. I'm waitlisted in a few other schools and don't know if I want to commit and start attending UW so early...but if I wait too long, the class may be filled. Any comments?

Do other schools offer this option?

Thanks.
:)

BaseballFan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2004
Status (Visible)
Have fun over the summer.

You have 4 years to worry about anatomy. Relax for one summer.

Personally, the program sounds like the school's attempt to get around an overcrowding problem....not enough space for everyone during the regular year?

acab

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2003
Status (Visible)
I like the idea of learning anat over the summer. Personally, if given the option, I would take it. Fall semester would be slightly more relaxed and you could concentrate on other areas more.

About the Ads

tms

spAcE cOwbOy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2002
Oklahoma City
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
i am not familiar with the normal program there...is it block based or more traditional? if it is block based...then there really isn't any difference. if it is traditional (where you have several classes at once), i would highly recommend it. first, you get acclumated to the surroundings...the professors...the administration...etc. plus...no matter what anyone says...med school = work! anything to lessen the amount at any given time is worth it in my eyes...just think...you may have a little more free time this fall...for SOs...going out...plays...

good luck

GTea

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2004
CA
Status (Visible)
Thanks guys for your inputs.

Yeah, I think they're curriculum is traditional: anatomy, histo, biochem, and doctor/patient the first semester (I think). I really wish the other schools would either accept me or reject me soon so that I can make this decision.

Thanks.

E

Eraserhead

i know that two exceptions to the usual are the UCSF JMP and UCSD. at UCSD you do anatomy in the first or second quarter of the second year (can't remember which at the moment). and with the JMP you must do anatomy over the summer before the first semester at berkeley. fun fun.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2003
Wisconsin
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
If you take anatomy during the summer, you lose out on getting to know many of your classmates through the group setting this course entails.

LoneCoyote

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2002
lonecoyote11.blogspot.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
UC Irvine has a summer program sort of like the one you describe, except it is more of an intro and then you take anatomy with everyone else. The students who hosted me and a couple during the interview day had done the program and highly recommended it to me. They said that it did give you a head start in anatomy and that you got to know some of your classmates ahead of time. And at UCI it gives you an advantage for cheap on campus housing. So there it seems to be a plus.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.