Quantcast

Summer before First year medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Go-Spurs

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I was just wondering what other medical school students are doing this summer before we are immersed for the next four years?

I am just helping my parents around, but besidies that i'm just bumming around and watching basketball.

Spurs in 6!!!!!! :thumbup:

wends

Tigress in Training
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
bumming around as well.....but going to europe in july.....then bumming around again

although i am officially my mother's maid right now as well....ah cooking and cleaning.... :(

cammy1313

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My mother's anal retentiveness results in her nagging me for not helping but then scolding me for not doing things the "right" way when I try to lend a hand. Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

Looking forward to my month abroad. Only 1.5 more weeks!!!!!!

ambrosia

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went on a cruise, and since then I've been working in the same lab I've worked in for the past three years. So I'm at work all day and then I spend my nights either drinking in Ann Arbor, or sometimes I head up to East Lansing...nothing super exciting.
I'm actually getting really tired of 8 hours of work every day and I think once school starts it will be a welcome change....

Oh, and by the way GO PISTONS!

heeter

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I spent a load and went to SE Asia for 2 months, just got back. Now I'm broke and chillin. Man, wish I'd stayed longer. I might work at my old job for a bit, we'll see. Sorry, gotta run... GTA Vice City is calling.

Karina

Surgeon in training...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm working full time to save money to put some furniture in my place (moving out). My last day of work is July 15th. So, I'll have 15 days of vacation...maybe I'll go to the Dominican Republic and spend like a week there.
Other than that...I'm just reading a lot...learning how to cook new things...and spending quality time with my family...

Karina

jmk

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
working unitl the week before orientation and then Vegas Baby!!! I've never been and while this sort of trip isn't my normal idea of fun I figured what better way to end my freedom!

smartreader

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently working in a motor control lab for the summer. I'll be there the whole summer until med school starts in August. I also work part time on the weekends as a car jokey in a hotel garage (to suppliment my meager reasearch bursary). Other than that, I spend my evenings at the gym, chillin with friends in chinatown on the weekends (although I'm not chinese:>), and watching the first season of LOST (an awesome show) and HBO's OZ (another awesome show). I was planning on going to Cedar Parky (in Ohio) with a few friends, but I don't have the time, nor the money, since I'll barely break even to pay for med school.

Cheers,
Smartreader

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be doing nothing, and I can't wait. :) Well, maybe nothing is too extreme. I just want to keep it low-key: TV, rollerblading, playing Super Smash Bros. with my brother, and painting.

Ergo

Integrated Resident
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I spent 2 months in Hawaii diving and surfing. HAve fun. Charge up. Dont study.

drguy22

1K Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
workin @ da NIH-NHLBI and im havin a blast..... :cool: i get to order very expensive things.... :D

mikedc813

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Enjoy the summer!!! Do whatever you can to relax. Trying to study ahead is simply a waste of time. Trust me, it won't help you at all. So just take it easy before the flood gates open... ;)

ERJunkie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Working until July 1 in the lab(counting down the days), visiting home for a few weeks(play a lot of golf), jet to DC for a few days, and then off to Peru for 10 days. I am cramming in as much as I can before school starts!

biosailgirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Working and saving for school and retirement (while I can) until July 30,then moving on the 1st. School starts on the 10th. I plan on sailing every weekend and every wednesday, hanging out and relaxing on front porches and taking a 4 day trip to Charleston, SC (alma mater) before heading to school. My M2 buddy told me to look over anatomy, but other than that, chillin and having as much fun as I can before it's time to buckle down.

rugirlie

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Karina said:
I'm working full time to save money to put some furniture in my place (moving out). My last day of work is July 15th. So, I'll have 15 days of vacation...maybe I'll go to the Dominican Republic and spend like a week there.
Other than that...I'm just reading a lot...learning how to cook new things...and spending quality time with my family...

Karina

Just working like everyone else and I'm leaving for the dominican in less than 2 days!!!!! WOOT one week of relaxation, can't wait.. i totally recommend going.. such a good deal to go there! :thumbup:

aragonh

Vanguardist Apologist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im also going to be working until the 30th of July. Then I pack my things into my car and make the 28+hour trek to Chicago.

But before that, Im going to visit my people in San Francisco. Im also of thinking of passing by NYC. And perhaps . . .perhaps . a trip to Puerto Rico

ambrosia

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
rugirlie said:
Just working like everyone else and I'm leaving for the dominican in less than 2 days!!!!! WOOT one week of relaxation, can't wait.. i totally recommend going.. such a good deal to go there! :thumbup:

You're gonna love it!!! I went to the dominican last year, it was the best time of my life:) And you're right, it was a great deal,we were at an all-inclusive resort for a week for super cheap.
Have an awesome trip!

kmancrx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am working until the 8th of July here for UNC aids clinical trial unit. I can't wait to pass this crappy job off to some unsuspecting fool. Counting the days

Then I have to move. :thumbdown: Charleston in July should be nice and hot.

Gonna spend a week in colorado on the ranch and maybe down to miami to visit my sis.

I would like to go to la republica dominicana ?Cuanto cuesta?

medfish

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got back from a month long vacation in Asia, attended a few pharm and med school graduations, and last week I've been busy buying furnitures for my new apartment. Oh and I accidently spent a little over $500 on tropical fish equipments. oops.

PreMedAdAG

I am so smart. S-M-R-T :)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
whew, last day of my boring job this week! Then I start teaching math and science at a kids sports camp, can't wait, should be fun (I've had a 2 year break, so I've got the big trip and sitting on my arse thing out of my system). I've been going to weddings, went to mexico, will go to chicago, lv, san diego, laguna beach, oregon, and camping this summer. All of these activities besides work have been nicely accompanied by alcohol of some sort. I have lots of concert tickets, going to great america too. I'm all over the place. I'm also just enjoying these last months with my boyfriend - god, he's going to see the world change when med school starts!!