Summer before M1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smltwnDr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting M1 this fall, and a lot of the faculty say to review things (especially biochemistry) before starting school. Is this a good idea? I have asked several other students who just finished M1 and I have gotten both yes and no. I was wondering what everyone else thought. I haven't taken biochemistry in 3 years, so I am nervous that I forgot a lot of things. But at the same time, do I really want to sit in a library before I start school? HELP!

Members don't see this ad.

I am starting M1 this fall, and a lot of the faculty say to review things (especially biochemistry) before starting school. Is this a good idea? I have asked several other students who just finished M1 and I have gotten both yes and no. I was wondering what everyone else thought. I haven't taken biochemistry in 3 years, so I am nervous that I forgot a lot of things. But at the same time, do I really want to sit in a library before I start school? HELP!

I believe I speak for everyone when I say, "Do NOT study!!"

Let me put this into scope...it takes 1 year for most people to learn M1 year topics...studying for 1 month isnt going to help you for much except maybe the 1st test.

Members don't see this ad :)
Grab Netter's Anatomy Flashcards.
Go through them in the order of Back, Thorax, Upper Limb, Abdomen, Lower Limb, Pelvis. Just briefly try to understand the names of the muscles/bones, general location. Do NOT memorize origins and insertions hardcore. This is just so you are familiar with the terms when you see them next year. Also, don't even try to attempt Head &Neck.

So I repeat: Grab a pitcher of lemonade. Set up a hammock in your backyard. Wear a nice hat and just go through those cards at your leisure.

Let me put this into scope...it takes 1 year for most people to learn M1 year topics...studying for 1 month isnt going to help you for much except maybe the 1st test.

I guess the main topic I'm nervous about is biochemistry. The other topics I took within a year or so, so I at least have some understanding about them.

whatever biochem they want you to know they will teach you. If you've seen biochem before, even if it's been years, you will be just fine.

so go hang out with all your friends. After this summer most of them won't have a clue what you're talking about/won't be able to relate as well. Hang out with em while you still think they're cool

I guess the main topic I'm nervous about is biochemistry. The other topics I took within a year or so, so I at least have some understanding about them.

I hated biochem in undergrad too and did fine in med school. The secret to med school biochem is its 100% memorization. There is little application...if you can memorize you will do fine. I'd advice not to pre-study, if you made it into med school, you can easily learn the info in the time they give you.

Yeahh I mean I've learned krebs cycle like 4 times in different classes/phases of my education and I still don't know it.. so prestudying biochem is pointless and the fact u took it before even years ago means things will be familiar to you which is a whole lot better than ppl who have never seen it before..again though that advantage will wear off rather quickly.

i never rlly understood how someone can be motivated to study in the summer.. i mean i want to kinda look over some immuno before starting this year but ehh there rlly is 0 motivation to do anything without any tests anytime soon.

Don't do anything, you'll be fine.

Almost everybody says that medical school biochem is easier than undergrad biochem - I felt that way, too.

Yeahh I mean I've learned krebs cycle like 4 times in different classes/phases of my education and I still don't know it.. so prestudying biochem is pointless and the fact u took it before even years ago means things will be familiar to you which is a whole lot better than ppl who have never seen it before..again though that advantage will wear off rather quickly.

i never rlly understood how someone can be motivated to study in the summer.. i mean i want to kinda look over some immuno before starting this year but ehh there rlly is 0 motivation to do anything without any tests anytime soon.
So true. I've actually memorized the Kreb's cycle on three different occasions. It's all gone now.

I asked my friend last night who is a surgery resident and had "over a 250" step 1 score if I should pre-study (as a joke), and he immediately responded with "absolutely not and I would make fun of you if you did."

if your faculty are suggesting it, it might not be a bad idea to even skim over the biochemistry. Did they provide you a syllabus. It's hard to know what to even skim when you don't know what biochemistry is really emphasized or covered.

your faculty might be speaking from past experience. maybe those who have some knowledge coming in do better with the concepts.

I didn't remember jack *&^* when I entered med school and I did just fine in my classes. They know that people come from completely disparate backgrounds academically and teach in broad strokes with the assumption that you're starting from scratch.

I asked my friend last night who is a surgery resident and had "over a 250" step 1 score if I should pre-study (as a joke), and he immediately responded with "absolutely not and I would make fun of you if you did."
I had under a 250 and I also would make fun of you if you pre-studied ;)

if med school biochemistry were conceptual, i would recommend studying it over summer. If anatomy were conceptual, i would recommend previewing it as well.

both subjects are not conceptual. they are almost pure memorization.

so study if you want. you'll forget it and have to memorize again. when things don't find immediate application, they go in your brain and out.