Summer before M1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caprica6

I call it Vera
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know everyone recommends NOT pre-studying, and I don't want to sound like a gunner, but I'm a non-traditional student that has been out of school for a very long time. Since I will be starting medical school this summer I would like to get my brain back into the swing of things.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? What did you do? Take a summer course in something? Brush up on background via online tutorials? Anything?

And how was your experience readjusting once you started school again?

Members don't see this ad.

I know everyone recommends NOT pre-studying, and I don't want to sound like a gunner, but I'm a non-traditional student that has been out of school for a very long time. Since I will be starting medical school this summer I would like to get my brain back into the swing of things.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? What did you do? Take a summer course in something? Brush up on background via online tutorials? Anything?

It might not be a bad idea, depending on a couple of factors...

What is your academic background? What type of medical school curriculum are you entering? How comfortable do you feel with biological principles?

Some schools do a really great job of building a foundation and presenting the material in a well-organized, comprehensive manner. Some schools don't.

For example, my school uses a completely integrated curriculum (meaning anatomy, biochem, pharm, physio, embryo, histo) are taught all at the same time through the lens of an organ system. The curriculum is almost entirely new (within a year of implementation). And, just to lay all of the cards on the table, the implementation has not been without its very rough parts.

In order to understand ANY of the information presented, I found it pretty critical to have a strong foundation in subjects like cellular bio, transport, membrane potentials, biochem, et cetera, and be able to recognize its application. I found that this was really not built in a very straightforward manner (this is a pretty common problem with integrated curricula). Since physio builds on cell bio/biochem (some histo), anatomy builds on embryo, pharm builds on physio, I found that not having a strong foundation in these subjects, well, caused me to be a bit lost. This can lead to stress and some pretty tense exams.

What I wish I had done: I wish I had found Costanzo's Physiology text beforehand and read between my acceptance and start date (it's about 300 pages). She does a good job of building base knowledge and applying it. Her writing is very clear and well illustrated. Also, brushing up on some biochem would help (personally never having taken it in undergrad).

Studying ahead does not make you a gunner. It just makes you someone who wants to do well in class (and hopefully avoid the misery of academic struggles).

Last edited:
Some schools offer a summer intro course. See if your school does. It will not really gain you anything academically but may keep you from getting blindsided by workload

Members don't see this ad :)
It might not be a bad idea, depending on a couple of factors...

What is your academic background? What type of medical school curriculum are you entering? How comfortable do you feel with biological principles?

Some schools do a really great job of building a foundation and presenting the material in a well-organized, comprehensive manner. Some schools don't.

For example, my school uses a completely integrated curriculum (meaning anatomy, biochem, pharm, physio, embryo, histo) are taught all at the same time through the lens of an organ system. The curriculum is almost entirely new (within a year of implementation). And, just to lay all of the cards on the table, the implementation has not been without its very rough parts.

In order to understand ANY of the information presented, I found it pretty critical to have a strong foundation in subjects like cellular bio, transport, membrane potentials, biochem, et cetera, and be able to recognize its application. I found that this was really not built in a very straightforward manner (this is a pretty common problem with integrated curricula). Since physio builds on cell bio/biochem (some histo), anatomy builds on embryo, pharm builds on physio, I found that not having a strong foundation in these subjects, well, caused me to be a bit lost. This can lead to stress and some pretty tense exams.

What I wish I had done: I wish I had found Costanzo's Physiology text beforehand and read between my acceptance and start date (it's about 300 pages). She does a good job of building base knowledge and applying it. Her writing is very clear and well illustrated. Also, brushing up on some biochem would help (personally never having taken it in undergrad).

Studying ahead does not make you a gunner. It just makes you someone who wants to do well in class (and hopefully avoid the misery of academic struggles).

So the people telling us not to study ahead are the actual gunners themselves and simply don't like the idea of anyone studying more than them?

And do you mean the big Costanzo textbook or the BRS book? Because the textbook is 500+ pages.....

LOL. The exact same thread without fail at this time every year. Also typical to these threads the OP always qualifies that they are "different" and need to pre-study because they are a non-trad, slow learners, want derm, or whatever.

Anways, OP. I suggest you read through BRS physiology. Start listening to Goljan Audio. Buy Moore Clinical anatomy and Netter and start thrumbing through it. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

LOL. The exact same thread without fail at this time every year. Also typical to these threads the OP always qualifies that they are "different" and need to pre-study because they are a non-trad, slow learners, want derm, or whatever.

Anways, OP. I suggest you read through BRS physiology. Start listening to Goljan Audio. Buy Moore Clinical anatomy and Netter and start thrumbing through it. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Oh great you just made a bunch of neurotic rising M1 females with the baby itch to prestudy this summer.

Don't forget the Q-banks.

Seriously, OP, don't do anything. Despite what you think, you're not different than any of the multitude of non-trad students that haven't been in school for years yet end up doing just fine. Sure, study if you want, but it's probably not going to do what you want it to.

I prestudied!!! But it was not that useful for one reason:

Even as a super straight-A, high MCAT scoring, multiple research publishing, awesome medical school matriculating overall badass pre-med, I did not understand how to study for medical school (despite reading 3 books on the subject). I pre-studied for 6 MONTHS!!! It gave me no significant advantage. Any background knowledge I prided myself on retaining was recouped in each block in a matter of 1-2 hours of lecture.

However, from personal experience (since I probably started a thread like this last year and decided to study despite what MS2's said) I know that you WILL prestudy since you want to. In fact, your reasoning (like mine) may go something like this "well how does he know it didn't help?" or "How could knowing less be better than knowing more, that's just BS." So just do whatever will make you feel confident about starting medical school.

Last edited:
The only pre-studying I did was MCAT studying.

Even that felt like too much.

I don't see what's so funny about it. I'm really not trying to "get ahead of the curve" or study the material I think might be covered in medical school. I guess I just felt since I've been out of school for ~8 years that my background knowledge is nowhere near fresh in my mind. So the general consensus is that it really is not a hinderance?

My other question was seeking advice from someone that also had been out school for awhile and how their adjustment was. If they did or wish they had done something academic (doesn't even have to be medically related) in order to prepare for sitting in lecture, studying, reading textbooks, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see what's so funny about it. I'm really not trying to "get ahead of the curve" or study the material I think might be covered in medical school. I guess I just felt since I've been out of school for ~8 years that my background knowledge is nowhere near fresh in my mind. So the general consensus is that it really is not a hinderance?

My other question was seeking advice from someone that also had been out school for awhile and how their adjustment was. If they did or wish they had done something academic (doesn't even have to be medically related) in order to prepare for sitting in lecture, studying, reading textbooks, etc.
I was out of school for 3 years, went back for a year, then was out for another year before entering med school. There is nothing I would have done diff before starting school, and I did not pre-study

It isn't worth it to pre-study. Will it hurt? No. Will it be a giant waste of time that once you start you wish you had done something way more fun? Yes.

Golf. Get drunk. Swim. For God's sake, do not study. You'll have plenty of time to study in the next two years.

This is probably school specific, but my school did expect a basic understanding of biochem upon entrance. I am talking basic, like you took the class and have a decent understanding of acid-base protein chemistry and how proteins are made, binding curves, some other basic stuff. You could probably buy first aid and just look over the biochem section once or twice if you were lacking in biochem but even then I don't think it's necessary.

I took a year and a half off and did nothing academic. I worked my tail off for a company and made money. By the time it was over I was actually excited to have the student lifestyle back.

I'd say the only big change was determining how to spend my day. Time management is a huge factor in medical school success I think.

Do. not study anything, at all. Hell, I wouldn't even think about buying the books even until the first day of actual class (not orientation)

Focus on things that will inevitably fall by the wayside to some degree or another during school. Work on your relationship with your family and friends as they will change. If you have a job, work more to save money. Or, best case scenario, take a long vacation. Use this time as an excuse to see people out of state or to do recreational things you may not have time or motivation for once school starts.

For me, spending that time with my wife and seeing friends I wouldn't be seeing as much, and working to save money had a far greater return on investment than feebly trying to prestudy, or getting back in the swing of things.

Despite my post, I actually agree with you. It is really hard to pre-study for medical school before you get there (and most importantly, know what you are facing). This will always be highly student and highly curriculum specific.

OP: You had to have taken the MCAT within 3 years of applying right? So 8 years out of school really doesn't mean much.. you have the basic basic BASIC science knowledge you need to start as an MS1. Really if you know what an acid and a base is and that a cell has a nucleus (although they'll prob tell you that in histology on day 1) then your set.

Agree with MCAT point. If you did well enough on that, you're probably ok.

If you absolutely must study something as a non-trad, I would just choose one purely memorization based topic that most people would know from undergrad. Like learn all the amino acids or something.