Summer before Med School? Travel or Save $$

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WildChild

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to med school in the fall and I am wondering if I should save my money or bum around Europe like I've always wanted to. Any and all advice would be appreciated. Thanks :D

Members don't see this ad.

i'm planning to bum around europe like i've always wanted to this summer before med school starts. If figure there's no better time, better to do things like this now then to get too wrapped up in medicine and regret not having the time to do it. I'm taking like 6 weeks, doing greece, italia and spain... and oh... i can't wait!

Hey Coup, I'm an undergrad, senior who is doing a study abroad in Greece right now for the academic year.. applying to med school this june. Anyway, if you're interested, maybe we can meet when you come to greece this summer? I can show you around the interested places. I'm from Michigan State University. Email me [email protected].

Members don't see this ad :)
WildChild, congrats on the acceptance!
I'm applying now and have 3 choices (so far)
(1) teach English in Korea for 6 weeks (they give you ample travel time and reduce or cover expenses)
(2) do a 2 month relief/aid project in South America
(3) Travel through Europe!

How awesome would it be if a bunch of SDNers (or any MS-0's for that matter) met up and hit the streets of Europe. we should definitely look into mentioning this in the Pre-Allopathic forum a few months down the road :)

Hey ya'll! I am going to be in Europe all summer too. I think we all deserve a break and a bit of fun before school starts. As far as money goes, anything I could save this summer wouldn't even put a dent in what I'm going to owe in the long run. Bring on the debt! I figure it's more than an even trade.

Forget saving money . . . whatever you might earn at a summer job is pocket change compared to four years of medical school debt. GO TO EUROPE. There's no better time.

Thanks everybody for the advice :) I think you're right, Europe it is!

It would be cool if a bunch of SDNers met up somewhere during our travels. :D

A trip to europe does sound very inviting. always wanted to go check out what I've been missing. Maybe we could arrange for a group discount if enough people decided to do go.

Go for Europe. This is your second to last summer. There isn't much of a summer after 2nd year at all. I went to Europe this summmer and it was amazing, a dream come true. A bunch of people I talked to didn't like backpacking it. I ended up going w/a tour group because I sure didn't want to stay in hostiles or tent cities (yikes). A few people who were planning to back pack it said it was cheaper this way too. Anyways, they put you in 18-35 age group so most people are around their early 20's. There are a few, but try <a href="http://www.contiki.com." target="_blank">http://www.contiki.com.</a> They seem to be the best. Otherwise, plan wisely if you back pack it.

Europe is a must when you are young.

Peace,
wyldstyle2000