summer before med school, what are you all doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carmell1981

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
This is the first time I've started one.
I just wanna know what others are doing the summer before medical school - How you guys are all rewarding yourselves after going through this nerve-wracking process.

As for me, I'm planning a 2-3 week backpacking trip to Europe with some friends. Then after that bankrupts me, I'll work the rest of the summer either at the Woods Hole Biological station in MA for this marine bio internship program or stay in my hometown and work at a summer camp and a music theatre.
:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

I am quitting my job at the end of May and heading back to Texas. I'm trying to arrange a month long trip to Europe, but if that doesn't work out, I am laying on my ass all summer (my mother fondly calls this vegatating) and doing nothing! Okay, so I will also hang out with all of my little brothers and sisters too (I'm the oldest of 6.)

I think making some money may be a good idea! And finding an apartment/condo and roommates! Aaah!

Jade~

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm hoping to get the hell outta here and travel.

backpack for 3 months through asia...who knows. gotta find out how much those around-the-world tickets are.

i've actually been warned that the summer before is the worst time to travel though if you're on waitlists. admissions offices will just call you up and ask if you'll go to their school because they're trying to fill up their classes due to waitlist movement. if you aren't around, then tough luck.

true? hopefully it won't come down to that.

I'm gonna go camping or traveling--or I'll spend it doing the OTC for USUHS! :clap: oh wait--:mad:

I'll take the two or three months before school to spend time with my parents and take care of my grandmother. Once school starts, I won't be able to spend much time with them and also, my grandmother is 90!

Besides that, I'll definitely go to Europe or South America for a vacation since I've never been there.

Research, what else?

quitting my job in may, going to hawaii for a week, going to europe for approx 6 weeks, going to the east coast for a wedding, and then hopefully starting school!

I'm graduating in 8 weeks, so my summer vacation actually starts in December! :) I'll be going on vacation w/ my family to somewhere warm, probably Cancun or Jamacia, in January. I'm also planning a trip to visit my grandparents at their condo in Florida sometime in the spring, and might go to Mardi Gras w/ one of my friends. :D

For work, I'll be teaching MCAT class for Kaplan, and probably substitute teaching and waiting tables in a weak effort to prepare for years of massive debt.

And if all goes according to plan (ie - Michigan or Loyola gives me some love), I should get my puppy in January. (Right now he's still a fetus.) So alot of the spring will be spent cleaning up puppy poop! :clap:

If I go to Med school, it will be either as HPSP or USUHS--I am already ROTC and my career goal is military physician. Thus, I would be attending Army OBC for six weeks of summer. The remaining time I would move to school and find job for remaining time. (Need money!) If I took vacation, it would consist of driving from WA to MN after graduation--pending on OBC date.

waiting to get off of waitlists...

:)

I'm keeping my expectations low!

hopefully in europe and kenya (see family i haven't seen in a while) - and not doing lab rotations!

Originally posted by Woots32
and might go to Mardi Gras w/ one of my friends. :D

great idea!

I'm so sad this year will be my sixth and final mardi gras. :(

Starting in March-April, I will be travelling non-stop....Chile, Ecuador, Peru, Colombia, Cuba, Mexico, Panama, Nicaragua..

I?m in Costa Rica right now and it really sucks having 8 secondaries unfinished while trying to have fun!

become a bogey player.

Where are ya'll getting all of this money????
:eek:

Europe? Asia? Geez...the only place I will be able to afford to go backpacking through is my backyard!! :laugh:

For those of you going to Mardi Gras....BE CAREFULL. I have tons of horror stories if you want to hear them. I promise you I will be noware near New Orleans during Mardi Gras. Probably the week before or the week after....mabey this weekend! It is a great place...if you know what's what.

I will be working full time to pay off my credit cards that have been MAXED out during this insane process....and all for not it seems. :(

I'll probably be working in order to save money. Kind of sad actually, but I'm going to save up and get myself some nice stuff for my apartment. Big screen TV, new DVD player, Dolby Digital 6.1 Surround Sound System, Pool Table etc. Too bad all of that stuff will probably end up collecting dust during class. :)

About getting the money to travel... I worked for 5 years after college, invested in the market during the good years and pulled out at the right time, now Im going to blow all my savings before I go into tremendous debt...

About getting the money to travel... I worked for 5 years after college, invested in the market during the good years and pulled out at the right time, now Im going to blow all my savings before I go into tremendous debt...

:laugh: Sounds good!! Good luck.

Originally posted by carmell1981
I just wanna know what others are doing the summer before medical school - How you guys are all rewarding yourselves after going through this nerve-wracking process.

Even though I'm still far away from even starting the application process (I'm a sophomore), I already have that summer planned. I am currently saving up a ton of money so that I can a couple months in Italy, and possibly other parts of Western Europe (I would love to go back to Spain). I'm going to treat my little sister, who will be graduating high school the same year that I graduate college. This trip kind of gives me a nice reward to look forward to and keeps me motivated to work hard, save money, and of course....pay attention in Italian class. :D