Summer before medschool

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scout

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just trying to get a consensus as to what
to do before medschool. I would appreciate
any suggestions in terms of whether to work,
perform research, read, or just hang-out the
summer before school starts. I thought about
taking some more classes but I already feel
burnt out. Some extra money would be nice
but it's hard to get a nice paying job for
just a few months. Well any suggestions or
advice?

Members don't see this ad.

summer research program

work/surf/snowboard...in no particular order :p

miglo

Members don't see this ad :)
Relax!!! Relax!! Relax!!

You will be glad you did once your medical school roller coaster commences!!! Good luck!!
biggrin.gif

Rob
WesternU/COMP MS II

Read as many books just for pleasure as you can, before you get to the point where you barely have enough time just to keep up with assigned reading.

Go to Sweden like me...relax with the bikini team...

Spend time with family and friends or go traveling because once school starts it's going to be a wild and crazy year.

Do Stuff you normally wouldn't.

Put your underwear over your head and run like a mad man up and down the street barking like a dog until you pass out. Then yell to the police, you'll never take me alive as you swing on the trees like tarzan. Then get a good lawyer, plead insanity, do your community service and by the time your done with it, it will be time to start school.

You might want to read a book or two of free reading to keep the skills sharp, but if you do anything but kick back and enjoy your SECOND TO LAST SUMMER VACATION, I personally think you are in the fast track to meltdown.
Chill, take it all in and get ready for fall.

Are you going to med school in your home town? If not make sure that you go and find an apartment or house early. Move there fairly early too. It will make your life much easier if you are settled in your new home and are familiar with your new town when classes start!

Congrats and Good Luck!

bDOc03
UHS, MS-1

I am backpacking in europe for a little while and am so excited - so something you won't have the opportunity to, especially once we start our rotations

well, I think I will sit around in my Superman glow in the dark underwear, eating Rasin Bran, reading comic books all day long......or maybe I will just spend the entire time kayaking in North Carolina.....hmmmmm, tough call.

Originally posted by rowerman:
Go to Sweden like me...relax with the bikini team...

Rowerman-
Doesn't going to Sweden require flying? You could always fly them over and have them stay at your house.

Why would you need advice on such a thing as vacation time before medical school????

You sound just like a Surgical resident who does not even know what to do on their free time.