Summer before MS1: what academic opportunities are available?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

violincuty

OB/Gyn resident
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious what most people are planning to do this summer. Normally I would be in a summer research program, but now I am graduating and starting medical school this fall. It feels surreal and empowering to realize how much life is about to change! I am going on a Birthright trip in June (for medical students, actually), and I couldn't be more excited about this!! I've considered traveling around Europe a bit before/after the Birthright trip or going on a medical mission, but I really can't afford too much travel unfortunately. I would love to do something academic other than take classes, if possible.

I wrote to the head of the emergency medicine department at the school that I will be attending to ask about shadowing/volunteering, but he has not written back to me yet. What other options do I have? Do most students come early to conduct research? Do others become involved in a student-run clinic over the summer? What other humanitarian service projects or teaching opportunities are available to incoming medical students? I am very eager to become acquainted with my new home and academic community! If you have any ideas of things that I may become involved in, please let me know. Congrats to everyone who has been accepted! Our journey is just beginning :highfive:

Members don't see this ad.

How about relaxing, reading, vacationing, sleeping, hanging out with friends, etc? Those will be my academic activities. :thumbup:

Hehe, I hear ya ;)

Most of my friends are moving away and will likely be busy. I would love to go on a vacation, but I am a self-supported student with limited funds :oops: Trust me, I would kill to have parents who would help pay for me to go backpacking in Europe!

I know myself- I will be extremely bored and anxious just sitting around my home in Vegas all summer. Med school at UCSD doesn't start until September!!! I need something to keep me busy- and it can't be working or taking classes because I will go insane!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Violin,
I work in UCSD at the moment, and will also be going to medschool this fall, although across the country. If you wanted to move here early, there are things you could do. The Hillcrest medical center has a volunteering program that I know anyone can do at any time. I work in one of the SoM labs, and I know that many people would be very happy to have an incoming med student come and learn a bit about their research. All this, unfortunately, would have to be free labor (unless you got really lucky).

Another possibility is coming in for the pre-matriculation program. I know UCSD offers one in the summer, but I don't know what the requirements are. I would suggest emailing student affairs, maybe they have some info, or can at least put you in contact with some people!

EDIT: At the very least you could get a head start at getting yourself acquainted with the beaches!

If you really get antsy (like I do), get a part time job or something (Bartend, etc.). You'll be studying enough the next 4 years, try to enjoy one of the last summers you'll ever get off.

:thumbup: to the rest and relaxation idea. Come August/September, I'd much rather be antsy and really excited for school to start than tired and yearning for more sleep

some med schools have pre-m1 classes during the summer you can take. But relax and get ready for hell

Looks like I'm the only med student to post on this thread so far.

Work if you have to. Don't if you don't have to. The beach-time mentioned earlier sounds good. If you have to read something, pick up a good non-medical, non-science book. Enjoy this time off. As you progress down this path, time for yourself and family becomes limited. You really don’t need to worry about getting in more research experience or internship experience (unless this is specifically recommended by your school). Regarding shadowing, if there is really a specialty you are super-interested in observing, go for it, but you will soon realize that the utility of shadowing doctors is limited once you are in medical school and ready to start practicing. Good luck. Be interested, but also make time for yourself.

-senior medical student (graduation t-39days)