summer between 2 and 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drstrangelove

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out I have to be in a wedding that summer. When is step 1? Is that date flexible? When do clerkships start? Do I have 2 weeks or so to be in the wedding? What is the calendar schedule that summer?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you can do Step 1 almost any day of the year. It's not like the MCAT. You make an appointment with a testing center and you'll do it on a computer.

Better to get some clarification on this since I have not taken it yet.

You'll have to check with your school about when rotations start. Usually its a few weeks after your 2nd year ends.

Members don't see this ad :)
We had six weeks b/w the end of MS 2 and start of clinical rotations. As mentioned previously, you can schedule your step 1 exam anytime (although i would suggest you do it during this brief summer vacation)..your school likely has a requirement with regard to passing step 1 (we had to pass it prior to starting fourth year) and it would be difficult to take it during the third year (although i had friends that did this). it really shouldn't be a problem, but i would ask the MS3's and fours at your school or check with the Dean's office. good luck.

drstrangelove said:
I just found out I have to be in a wedding that summer. When is step 1? Is that date flexible? When do clerkships start? Do I have 2 weeks or so to be in the wedding? What is the calendar schedule that summer?

What kind of wedding are you in that lasts 2 weeks? Only thing I can think of is something in India or something where extended travel is a must.

You can take Step 1 whenever you want to, you just have to be ready to take it. I know people who studied for only 2 wks and then took it, others took all of July off and then took studied for almost 2 months. It all depends on your level of comfort.

Dr.Evil1 said:
You can take Step 1 whenever you want to, you just have to be ready to take it. I know people who studied for only 2 wks and then took it, others took all of July off and then took studied for almost 2 months. It all depends on your level of comfort.

So it seems like the Step 1 date is very flexible, just dependent on how much you want to study.

The date you begin your clerkships, is that inflexible for most? If so, when do most schools start?

drstrangelove said:

you should ask your school because some schools allow you to take step 1 until 4th year (eg Vanderbilt)