Summer between M1 and M2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tangent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it really necessary to do research or something medically related during the summer after M1? Is it going to look bad if I don't end up working? I am planning on getting married and I don't see how I can fit a job and a wedding in just 8 weeks

Members don't see this ad.

Tangent said:
Is it really necessary to do research or something medically related during the summer after M1? Is it going to look bad if I don't end up working? I am planning on getting married and I don't see how I can fit a job and a wedding in just 8 weeks

I'd vote to enjoy the summer. If you decide you want to go into some competitive residency you can always do some research/extras MS4 year. 8 weeks is already cutting it really close as it is to complete a project that you can publish, might not be worth it. If you really want to do something, shadowing would be the way to go. Congrats too, when's the big day?! :)

I'm going to chill out and spend 1 day a week preparing for the boards. I talked to a doctor friend of mine, and he says this is the only summer where you'll have a real vacation. So kick back and enjoy. Tangent, pass some of that beer this way. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Isla de San Andrés, Colombia. You are welcome to join!

Just get married.

I sat around on my butt and did nothing during that summer. Nobody asked me about it during residency interviews. If you did something productive like research with a published paper, feel free to talk about it during interviews and include it on your CV. If you do nothing, no one will notice or care.