summer between OMS1 & OMS2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

giguerex35

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
wanted to know if anybody had any tips on what to do in the summer between first and second year. I believe my school has about 3 weeks give or take a few days, so what would you recommend. I wanted to do some form of familiarization with board materials so any suggestions with that would also be helpful. I had originally had a research opportunity set up but that fell through after all this COVID stuff. please let me know what reccomendations for board prep and any other things that i should/could do during this time. thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

It's completely up to you! My school gave us 2 months off and I didn't spend any of that time studying. In retrospect, studying over those two months probably wouldn't have done much for me but everyone is different. Just know that there is no pressure to use your summer to study.

Reactions: 1 user
Post up on a beach with a drink and some cards

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Y’all only get 3 weeks off? That sucks.

I recommend doing absolutely nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Also MS1. I managed to hit up an attending in my specialty of interest and he's going to let me write a case study which should only take a week or two (we get 2 months). Other than that, just planning on relaxing/keeping up with Anki reviews.

The advice I got a couple second years was essentially if you absolutely must do some studying watch sketchy micro and do the anki cards. Which I can see the merit of but I dunno if I can bring myself to do more than the bare minimum anki after an exhausting first year.

Reactions: 1 users
If you need research for your specialty, I advice you start sending out emails and getting in contact with people you can do research with during this down time. Sometimes it takes months to get everything set up.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I crushed all sketchy micro and pharm vids and started on pepper decks for each...
In hindsight, prob can just jump straight into lolnotacop micro and zanki pharm, which I started after I finished pepper decks at start of block 6

Honestly, just vibe and create a plan and stick to it, regardless of what others are doing.

It completely depends on how you feel. There are plenty of people who take their summer off to recharge then go all out for boards studying their entire second year. I also know some people take a couple days off and then go right back to reviewing content. If you‘re super burnt out from the semester, take a break. If you feel you can get back into it, start/continue doing some zanki, BnB, sketchy, etc. and maybe get involved in a case report or two in the specialty of your choice.

Send emails out and find someone to do research with. Even if you don't start anything until 2nd year starts, you can pick at the work during the year. 3 weeks isn't much of a break so enjoy the time while it lasts. A decent amount of my classmates tried to start zanki or do a pass of (insert board resource) over the summer and many felt burned out in the first few blocks.

Unless you are gunning ortho, plastics, derm etc then chill as hard as you can. Dont study its honestly so unnecessary-2nd year sucks ass youll want a mental break before starting