Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

summer biochem before med school this fall

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by bluedevilchica, Apr 7, 2004.

1. bluedevilchica

bluedevilchica Pour some sugar on me
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi everyone,

I was hoping someone could give me some info on this...I've been accepted into med school but the thing is, I haven't taken biochem yet which is a requirement before matriculation. This was the only school I applied to with this requirement and lo, it's the one I got into...so now I have to figure out summer school. I've emailed the admissions office to ask if other courses I've taken (such as Orgo 2) will count since the school only requires one semester of orgo and I'm awaiting a response...

Until then I have to assume the answer is no. My question is, how strict are med schools on this matter...can I take it at any college? (by the way I'm not taking it at my current college (duke) because it's astronomically expensive). Thanks so much guys!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Luthertaketwo

Luthertaketwo Membership Revoked
    Removed

I've never heard of someone being able to take biochem without orgo2.

4. Sharkfan

Sharkfan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Call the school and ask; better to be safe (and sure) than sorry. But IMO, anything that gets the job done. You've already been accepted. :D

5. No Egrets

No Egrets Bachelorette of Science
    7+ Year Member

Of course your school will be able to say for sure, but I bet biochem at any school (even community college/extension school) would qualify. I've known people this has happened to before and they have been able to finish pre-reqs the summer before enrolling at community college (even going to places like HMS).

6. Pontifex Maximus

Pontifex Maximus Rads-a-palooza
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You can at my school, or at least concurrently. The catalog would say otherwise, but c'est la vie.

7. NDESTRUKT

NDESTRUKT Fadeproof
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    You can take biochem at UCLA, UC Irvine, UC San Diego, Purdue, and USC without having organic chemistry 2. It depends on the place.

8. LP1CW

LP1CW Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think Berkeley has an online biochem class taught through the extension school. I heard it was inexpensive and it might meet your needs.

9. bluedevilchica

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Online course--hmm interesting, i hadn't thought of that.

Thanks so much everyone for ur input :)

10. ZekeMD

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I was in a similar situation with Rochester, but they were very accomodating. They looked at my courses and told me they would suffice. They said that someone would have spoken to me when I was there to interview if there was something wrong with my courses. So I guess it all depends on the school. Mind if I ask which school you're talking about?

11. MoCookiess

MoCookiess Hater of Biochemistry
    7+ Year Member

At my institution, there are two different biochem classes. One is a two semester thing(with both semesters of O.Chem as prereqs), and the other can be taken after just one semester of O.Chem, and its only a 3hour class.

Don't be fooled into thinking the 3 hour class will be easier though; I made this mistake this semester. Time to go learn every friggin' biochem mechanism in the whole body.

12. musiclink213

musiclink213 My room is a mess
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    my sister had a similar situation, although not for med school. she applied for grad school in speech and one of the requirements was a semester of a physical science, which she didn't have. But she's taking chemistry over the summer before she matriculates and she's taking it at a 2-year community college. just call your school first and make sure they;d be cool with you taking it at a community college first, if that's what you want to do.

13. bluedevilchica

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm SO PSYCHED!!!!

I just found out in an email TODAY that my school (university of southern california) had already determined that I had satisfied the biochem req. for admission...much like you, ZekeMD! So no biochem for me this summer!!!!! I think i laughed out loud and screamed when I read that message, oh the relief! :clap: