Quantcast

summer break after 1st year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Optimistic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hi everyone,
I was just wondering how many of you spent or are planning to spend your summer after first year ,in clinical setting job or actually doing some research work. Is it really worth spending whole summer.I mean does it have any big advantage in future .Is there enough time to do it after second year ,if ican not do it this summer. Iam just confused.I mean I would really like to have summer off after working so hard for year but if taking summer off is going to put me in big disadvantage than i guess I will do some research or something?what do you guys think? :confused: :confused:

Resident Alien

What?
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Smoke some more of that OMM. Just kidding ;).
I think you should do research only if you are interested...the summer will be one hell of a wasteif you dont enjoy it.
I'll be doing an overseas project, only because its back home, and i can get a fellowship for it :). talk about stones and killing birds....

On a different subject, hope you're having fun up there.

OsteoMed02

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there-

Lucky for you, you have the summer off! lol At MSUCOM, we have almost a full load of summer classes complete with Pharmacology, Radiology, Neuromusculoskeletal, OMM, etc. It's pretty hardcore, but I heard that it's more of a "relaxed" schedule than during the regular academic year. We get about 4 weeks off total, which I'm not complaining about one bit :)

I think that you should get some clinical experience. I'm finding out so much more that clinical skills are where it's at and if you don't have those, all of your academic knowledge won't get you very far. Find some good D.O.'s to shadow and just get as much hands-on experience as possible. Research is good, but do it ONLY if you are interested in it or are looking at pursuing it in the future. It's a lot of work and if your heart isn't in it, it can get to be very tedious.

I hope that you have a great and successful semester. Good luck!

Julia

BrooklynDO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Optimistic... try to do research with a clinician who is interested in research...eg...not a PHD. Clinical research is more "impressive" or so the voices in my head are telling me. If not, work in an office, shadow , whatever... that shouldnt be such a chore for you...us....since its what we wanna do with our lives...so you should have fun doing it... and remember its a 9-5 kind of thing in the summer...no more studying till the wee hours...
~Your buddy.... Brooklyn...
and resident alien... you havent seen good OMM until you smoke OURS...puff puff PASS
:D

Yosh

Livin' in the WINDY CITY
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are a multitude of things to do...I went to Amsterdam with some classmates and took a Summer Pediatrics course and got to spend 3 weeks in the Netherlands.
The program cost 600 euros...which now is equivalent to $600 and included a furnished apt, some meals, a bicycle to get around...and social gatherings and weekend activities....
We had classes at the University at the hospital from Monday through Friday and then at nite we met at pubs or did our own thing....
We took off for a weekend and went to Paris by train ~3 hours and I had the best time that I can remember....but then again..parts were hazy...
There were students and doctors in out program from all over Europe and Asia...it was incredible....

Now back to 2nd year.....and pending boards and rotations...

All I can say....enjoy that summer.....BECAUSE IT IS YOUR LAST!!!

irish79

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really interested in doing something outside the country after my first year (which won't be until next year--but I'm planning ahead).

Does anyone know of any opportunities? I don't know if I will have enough clinical "know-how" to actually be able to do anything. Just curous.

Thanks,
Matt

irish79

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry,

Just CURIOUS! I should read over my posts before sending.

DRNickiTay

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did an anesthesiology elective for 2 weeks over summer break. AZCOM offered an elective clinical rotation in any area you wanted. I was interested in anesthesiology and this convinced me I wanted to do this. I am a third year and getting ready to apply to residency programs in anesthesiology.

I think research is a good idea also. Especially if you are looking into residency programs that have this as part of the program. It definately can't hurt.

The most important thing is take time for yourself and unwind.

:p It is really the last full summer break you will have until you retire possibly! :p

Nichole Taylor MS3 AZCOM

SuzyQ

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When Im on my summer break after my first year Im just planning on coming home and spending all the time I can with my family and friends. Anyone else plan on just relaxing?

save10

Doctors do it better
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Keep this in mind. The summer after your first year is the LAST summer of your life. Ponder that. I knew the consequences of this long in advance and so i acted accordingly. The nite of my last final I hopped a plane to Paris and I didnt come home until the day before school started. I've regretted many things, but I've never regretted doing that.

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be sitting by the pool reading paperback novels!