Summer Calc

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by gimpyballerina, Jun 13, 2008.

1. gimpyballerina

Pre-Medical
    I ended up getting a 79.2 (C+) in calculus this summer and am not sure if I should retake it. It was definitely a big mistake for me, who has never been very strong in math to begin with, to take a class in six weeks. I had a 3.97 gpa prior to the summer session but know this mess is really going to hurt. Any suggestions as to what I should do?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. redlight

redlight Senior Member :D

Pre-Medical
    i suggest you chill out and move on
    if you really feel bad about the grade, take calc II and rock it. i personally don't like the idea of people retaking classes they got above a "C-" in, barring some crazy circumstance that resulted in the low grade.

4. gimpyballerina

Pre-Medical
    Thanks, I guess i'll just suck it up and suffer through calc II, im just worried the same thing is going to happen again. I was kind of shocked when I found out that was my grade, turns out final didn't work out as well as I thought...

5. neurocirujano

Banned

Pre-Medical
    Unless you love math, why don't you just stop with that C? Don't retake it. If you want to try and offset the negative effects it had on your GPA, then just take an easy 3/4 credit hour class, as the grades will be averaged. I'm just worried that taking calc II will put you in a worse situation than you were before.

6. FuturePharm21

Pharmacy Student
    stop taking calc/math classes. if u dont like math...one C will not hurt your otherwise excellent gpa....its ok i know C's can hurt, but u gotta learn to move on and look onto to the future

7. neurocirujano

Banned

Pre-Medical
  8. neuro1617

Pre-Medical
    I was in the exact same situation last summer. A 3.9 GPA and the same almost-a-B grade but in organic chem 2. It was a big mistake for me too but I really learned a lot, more so I would say than I did in organic 1. I got an A- in ochem 1 but I had a really bad prof so my background was weak. It was an intense 6-wk course...There's nothing you can do about it now. Forget about the grade and move on. One C+ won't keep you out of med school. If you think you can, take Calc 2 and get an A. But I asked an adcom I know about retaking the ochem 2 and she asked why I would think about doing that.

9. 194342

Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    Eh, if you received the "passing" grade(C+ is, I think.) then I wouldn't retake unless you do it for a point of pride. If you're applying allo the retake will only average in. Also, the Adcoms will probably not consider the retake as making up for the grade enough to totally neglect the low grade, as you have already had the material once. It might help but I'd think it would be a waste of time just to do it in order to impress the adcoms.

My college requires two calc classes for a Bachelor of the Sciences degree. However, to get a Bachelor of the Arts you only need one. Considering Med Schools generally don't care which degree you get I'd take the BA if the option is available at your college like it is at mine. I found the 2nd calc to be much harder than the first but it could have just been a person/college specific thing. As a person who dropped calc 1 twice before getting an A in it and really busting my hump to get a B in the second one, I feel your pain. Also, I didn't really think there was that much overlap between calc 1 and calc 2 but that could just be my college.

Good luck!

10. Quadratic

Quadratic Currently not in function

That is some very bad advice. Unless you are fluent in Calc I concepts, it is unwise to proceed to Calc II, considering that it is more of the same (but more advanced).

Again, it is foolish to take this course if you

1) Do not like Calculus
    2) Did not do well in Calc I

No need to make yourself suffer unnecessarily. Calc II will be harder than Calc I. My advice: leave it alone and strive for better grades in your other classes.

11. gimpyballerina

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for all the replies. I most definitely do not want to have to take another math class again, but when I emailed an advisor at my school about it, she said it would be a good idea to take calc II to "prove myself". Because I'm a ballet major, she said adcoms might consider it an easy major (yea right). I'm taking on 19 credit hours a semester and have since I started and really don't see how I'll fit in another class, especially one that I know I will need to spend more time on. So I'm guessing I should just ignore my advisor? She also suggested I email the prof about it, which I'm not comfortable doing. I'm sorry I sound like the typical annoying premed right now, but this is the lowest grade I have ever gotten in a class my entire life.

12. 194342

Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    Ignore your advisor. Sometimes advisors are a total crapshoot. You should be able to prove yourself via bio, chem, ochem and physics. Don't take calc II if you don't need it, which it seems you don't.

I wouldn't e-mail your professor about it, what will the professor do?! Good luck!

13. redlight

redlight Senior Member :D

Pre-Medical
    yea i think this is good advice.
    dont retake. thats a waste of time in your case
    take calc II if you think you can rock it

also: calc II may be easier, it may be harder. i found calc II to be much easier than calc I, it depends on the professors and how hard you are willing to work for that A. i definitely worked harder in calc II and felt the professor was a lot better too.

edit: oh, i should add that i dont like math, never have. dont let that stop you if you really want to take calc II. and, in this case, dont just rely on your adviser about "proving yourself". try and ask other adcom members if you can about your specific situation. id only consider taking calc II to "prove myself" if a school i really wanted to apply to required calc 1