Summer Calculus at Different School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fdgjfg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just have one quick question.

I used the search function, but I didn't find any previous threads that were similar enough to my situation.

I am a freshman at Vanderbilt this year, and I was planning on taking calculus I & II over the summer. However, my family does not live particularly close to campus, so I would have to take it at a local state school, UTC (The University of Tennessee: Chattanooga).

The state school is a good bit less prestigious than my home school, and the classes are likely easier. I was just wondering whether this would appear poorly on my application, especially if I would like to apply to the most competitive med schools.

I might be able to fit it in sometime during normal school year, but this would really be difficult as I would be taking it at the same time as both organic chemistry and biology,
or I would have to push it back until junior year. I could also try taking it at my regular school during the summer, but I would like to avoid this as it would be quite expensive.

Does anyone have any advice on what course of action I should take?

Members don't see this ad.

I attend a top 20 undergrad university and took Calc 2 at a community college back home for reasons similar to your own. I am apply to med school currently and have been accepted at 3 schools (waiting on 2 more decisions as well) so I don't think it had an impact on my application. Good luck with whatever you decide!

I come from a relatively unknown undergrad, and had to take calc and trig at one of those fly by night online colleges in order to start physics on time, and I got accepted to a very good school, so you have absolutely nothing to worry about.