Summer Camp Counselor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoshuaGuit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I figured that because this is a premed/med forum, lots of people have likely been in this situation (volunteering as a counselor at a camp).

I am applying to become a counselor in training of a camp I have gone to for 7 years (as a camper). It is for a certain group of medical diseases and allows children with similar ailments to come together and get support, become educated, and get to know other kids that have it.

The only catch is that you have to pay $400 to attend as a counselor... I can't afford that out of my own pocket. When I went as a camper with the group from my hospital, we were sponsored by a group of nurses. Last year they were only able to raise half the money needed (~7K), and campers got priority of money over volunteer counselors.

I'm currently a freshman in college, and the decision date for accepted counselors is near the end of the year.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can raise some money to pay for this?

I was thinking facebook, but I didn't know if there were any better mediums.

Do any of you have helpful strategies?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you asked the camp itself if they have any funds for financially disadvantaged staff? I worked at a summer camp and similarly, had to pay for the 1st trainee summer, but there were other CITs who had their training paid for through alumni donations or something like that.
My other thought is to see if you can appeal to some other national organization that supports people / funds research / raises awareness for whatever the medical ailment is. If that's not an option I'd say try covering as much of it as you can and then asking a few people to split what's left, if you get 10 relatives to agree to give you $20 that's half right there. Good luck!

The far more normal situation in being a camp counselor is that you are paid for your services. Usually not very much, but certainly enough to cover your incidentals while at camp. I would look for another camp, OP. There are lots of camps around the country for children with special needs. I worked at one myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow I worked at a Christian summer camp one year and was paid then volunteered at 2 medical needs camps in college and never had to pay a dime. I will be doing my 3rd medical camp this summer as a member of the medical team and that is free as well.

If you have to raise the money I would maybe see about working or doing a fundraiser through student organizations, church, etc. Have you talked to the Camp Director? If you wait til you could be an actual counselor instead of CIT would it be free?

It's a one week sleepover camp at a chosen university by a group that I have been involved with for 6 years, Rally4youth.org.

I'm not doing this as a resume builder for med school... it has special meaning to me and I have been looking forward to giving back what I received when I was a camper and helping younger kids get through some really tough times.

Usually corporations sponsor campers and volunteers, but because money has been tight for everyone that isn't happening as much.

Does anyone know how taboo it is to post asking for money about this type of thing on facebook? Obviously not putting it as blunt as "give me money", but the goal being having enough to go.

Thanks for all the posts!

Either find another camp which will let you volunteer for free or choke up the money. Honestly, it seems a bit crooked to ask you to pay 400 dollars to "volunteer" as a camp counselor for a week, tough times or not.

And yes, it would be in bad taste to push for money for this on facebook. Why should your family and friends have to use that media to support you? Ask them in person if anything.

If you're dead set on going, contact other people who are going to "volunteer" there and work together to fund raise. A one person fundraiser probably isn't going to get you as far as working together would. Maybe get your administration involved.

Honestly, I would feel extremely taken advantage of in this situation, regardless of how that organization had treated me before.