habeshama

10+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi I am a sophomore and I am thinking of taking physiology and anatomy this summer before my Junior year....I will not take the courses at my home school ,but at a different 4 year university. ... I want to take these classes so that I could get prepared for the DAT which I plan on taking Spring of my senior year. During my junior year, I am planning to take Organic chemistry I and II. I did not want to take Organic chemistry with Physiology and Anatomy because I feel that I would not be able to get the grades I want. I also did not think I would learn much taking those classes together just because all those courses require so much time commitment. I feel that it would be wise to take physiology and anatomy over the summer.
Do you think it will look bad if I do take these courses over the summer?
I know that it wont look good on the transcript if you take plenty of perquisite courses during the summer but does this also apply to any science classes? How about taking classes at a different university other than your home school?
Thank You in advance

SanOnofre2002

Huge member
10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2007
Status
Non-Student
The "summer classes are easier" idea is an urban legend in my experience. The one's I took covered the same amount of info as a regular class.

OP
H

habeshama

10+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
The "summer classes are easier" idea is an urban legend in my experience. The one's I took covered the same amount of info as a regular class.
I don’t feel that taking Physiology and Anatomy over the summer would be easier than taking it during the school year. I just feel that I will have more time to focus on just one Physiology and Anatomy just because I am only taking those classes over the summer. The school I am taking it at combines Physiology and Anatomy together and there is a part I and a part II.

But do you think it will not look good on my transcript if I take these classes over the summer?
Does it matter that I am not taking it at my home school?

blankguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2003
Visit site
Status
Dental Student
Taking Physiology and Anatomy over the summer is like asking for trouble. It's just a lot of memorization over a shorter time. I personally wouldn't try it but that is just me. You'd be better take them with orgo next year. Taking summer courses won't make you look bad. If you insist on taking courses over the summer maybe just orgo will do.

firecracked

10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
It doesn't look bad. I called a couple dental schools I was interested in and asked them what they thought of summer classes, and they told me they don't care when you take it as long as you do well in it. However, my advisors tell me to avoid taking pre-req classes over the summer. Either way, it doesn't matter. You could do it if you wanted - it won't look bad, but it'll be intense.

litldime

D2
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
Texas
Status
Dental Student
I don't think you will have a problem taking summer classes. I went to summer school 3 out of my 4 years of undergrad. Never came up when I applied. I also took some at the dreaded community college. Just give it your best, you'll be fine. If the "other" institution is another 4 yr college, you're fine. If its community college, just know that some schools don't accept the credit. For example, Tufts.

Good luck

Master Pain

10+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2008
Richmond
Status
Dental Student
I say if you can bust out an A on a difficult course over the summer then do it (as long as it is at a University) and get it out of the way! I don't believe it will look bad at all as long as you can prove that you can handle a heavy course load w/ prev. and future semesters.
Dan

thebozz1975

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2007
Status
I think you have it backwards. Summer classes actually look better. If you get a good grade it shows your ability to assimilate a large amount of information very quickly.

OP
H

habeshama

10+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
I think you have it backwards. Summer classes actually look better. If you get a good grade it shows your ability to assimilate a large amount of information very quickly.
I assumed that schools did not like it because you are cramming a whole semester of work in just 4-6 weeks. …They assume that you wont learn the material well thoroughly.

What do you guys think?

alanan84

D1
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2008
Status
Dental Student
I assumed that schools did not like it because you are cramming a whole semester of work in just 4-6 weeks. …They assume that you wont learn the material well thoroughly.

What do you guys think?
As another poster has said, you DO learn the material thoroughly because it is the same material, just over a shorter period of time. It can be argued that you actually learn it better because of the shorter time period and because you usually don't take alot of other classes at the same time.

justaddyogurt

10+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Summer classes don't necessarily look better or worse; it just depends how well you do in those courses. I'm a student at UOP, and taking summer courses is pretty much the norm here for pre-dents. It will be more intense though, just because you're covering the same amount of material in a shorter period of time.

FreshOffTheBoat

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2008
FreshOffTheBoat...on American Soil.
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
habeshama...are you eri or ethi?

sorry..i just had to ask hahahahahaha

squeegeediver

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 21, 2007
Status
Dental Student
I took some summer courses. They were no easier than regular semester courses.

Regarding pros and cons: On the one hand, as several people have pointed out, summer courses are more intense -- you will have multiple lab sessions and problem sets per week, you may find yourself studying for an exam before your last exam is even graded, and so on and so forth.

On the other hand, in some ways it is easier because you don't have to juggle the sometimes-competing demands of multiple courses. And at some schools (not all), the ratio of semester time to number of courses is actually higher over the summer. Four months divided by four courses = 1 month/course. Two months divided by one course = 2 months/course.

KinKs

10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2008
Status
Dentist
I took anatomy one summer - ended up dropping it like it was hot - in general though although my school is tr--semestered - i find courses in the summer more laid back and a bit easier in my oppinion.