Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Summer Classes and AMCAS

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by PublicEnemy, Apr 30, 2004.

1. PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

So I'm turning in my AMCAS like the first second it lets you submit. I'm also taking several classes over the summer.

So I'll inlcude that I'm enrolled in classes for Summer 2004 on AMCAS, but what about the grades from these classes? I'll likely know my grades before I get any secondaries. 1)Should I send new transcripts directly to the schools with my secondaries? 2)How can I let schools know of how I did over the summer, especially if it could positively influence my gpa. I might need that little bit of help.

Likewise, during the waiting periods, like post-secondary/pre-interview or post-interview/pre-decision or wait-list, 3)how do you go about updating the schools as to what you're doing, like if you're taking more classes, getting more clinical experience and improving yourself.

I mean, I figure you just can't sit around and wait even after your apps are in, you have to constantly be working at it to improve yourself, whether it be a gpa, an mcat score or through experience, clinical, research, shadowing etc. Cause if things don't fall your way during this app cycle, then you've just gone through that "glide year" and that was your chance to make things better.

I just want to know if its possible or acceptable to let them know what you're doing while this is all going on.

2. PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

only 1 view? bump

3. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Something was up today with trying to get onto SDN. It kept saying the server was down. I'm glad it's back up.

Anyway to answer your question.
    1. I took summer classes as well. You can use the summer grades as a time when you can contact the schools directly. I would email the grades and the course names and numbers directly to the school's admission's director. They don't need the official copy. Ask them to put the new grades in your file.

2. Aside from new grades, I wouldn't recommend updating schools unless you have something really big like a published paper, or an honor of some sort. You use your application to talk all about your stuff and then you can use secondaries to add things, but after that, wait until you are interviewed to talk to them about what you have been doing to improve yourself.

After you have interviewed and if you are placed on a hold list or an alternate list, then you can update the schools with new things that could help you get off the hold list.

Also, some schools place you on a hold for interview list. That is also a time where you can send in new things so the school will take you off hold and grant you an interview.

In other words, you are going to have to wait and see what happens during the application process to know what and when you should send additional things. Hopefully you won't have to worry about it because you will get an interview and acceptance early on.

Good luck.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...