Summer classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheAlmightyCTom

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question for you med and post-med students...

How do ad boards generally feel about summer classes? I want to get a few things out of the way this summer and it would also be a good time for me to continue volunteering, research, etc., but if I take these summer courses, will the admissions committee think differently of them because they weren't taken during the regular school year?

In y'all's more knowledgeable experience...

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question for you med and post-med students...

How do ad boards generally feel about summer classes? I want to get a few things out of the way this summer and it would also be a good time for me to continue volunteering, research, etc., but if I take these summer courses, will the admissions committee think differently of them because they weren't taken during the regular school year?

In y'all's more knowledgeable experience...
Where are you planning to take the summer classes (same university, CC, another 4-year school closer to home)? Will they be mainly Gen Eds or are you planning to take prerequisite sciences/labs there as well?

I could take them either here at the uni or back home at our community college, based on my current living situation. And if I do they'd be a few major-specific classes with maybe a couple gen eds

Members don't see this ad :)
Where are you planning to take the summer classes (same university, CC, another 4-year school closer to home)? Will they be mainly Gen Eds or are you planning to take prerequisite sciences/labs there as well?
So yes pre-reqs as well

I wouldn't worry too much about taking Gen Eds at a CC (so long as you don't plan to apply to schools that discourage CC coursework). If adcomms look at your transcripts and see that all or most of the science prerequisites were taken at a less rigorous institution during your college years, it won't reflect well, though. A summer of intense Physics or OChem at your 4-year institution is unlikely to be a problem.

What's the general consensus with adcoms and online classes? Whether it be gen ed or pre-req?

What's the general consensus with adcoms and online classes? Whether it be gen ed or pre-req?

Med schools vary widely in whether they are accepted. The MSAR will tell you which is which. But, in general, it's best to never take a prerequisite science with lab via distance learning.

Med schools vary widely in whether they are accepted. The MSAR will tell you which is which. But, in general, it's best to never take a prerequisite science with lab via distance learning.
Thank you