Turkishking

2+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Entering sophomore year. I'm assuming my GPA will fall around a ~3.96.

Next summer, I'm planning on taking a bunch of non-major science courses at a local CC.

Would this be looked down upon?

Crayola227

The Oncoming Storm
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
All of Time & Space
it's probably fine, use SDN search function to check out my prior post history on "CC" "uni"

Oct 26, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Taking cc classes is fine. Summer classes at your university also fine imo. Taking both summer and cc classes AND have them be science (possibly pre-req) makes it look like you are trying to game the system. I believe this will look poorly.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Taking cc classes is fine. Summer classes at your university also fine imo. Taking both summer and cc classes AND have them be science (possibly pre-req) makes it look like you are trying to game the system. I believe this will look poorly.
You may need to explain at some point that why would an excellent student feel the need to take the a bunch of courses in the summer at a CC.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
You may need to explain at some point that why would an excellent student feel the need to take the a bunch of courses in the summer at a CC.
Inability to get into courses required to graduate on time at one's university would be an adequate answer, as would fitting in classes around a heavy work schedule.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Inability to get into courses required to graduate on time at one's university would be an adequate answer, as would fitting in classes around a heavy work schedule.
Not too mention being cheaper usually

CyrilFiggis

2+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2014
Status
Medical Student
But why a cc? Take them at a local university...

Your state school should be pretty cheap to take classes at.
Not everyone has that option due to time, distance, etc.

@Turkishking Every med school is different. Most don't mind CCs to an extent and for justifiable reasons. However, one thing they frown upon is if a majority of your pre-reqs come from CC. This doesn't show that you have challenged yourself. But for non-science courses, go for it.

Reactions: Espressso
Oct 26, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Not everyone has that option due to time, distance, etc.

@Turkishking Every med school is different. Most don't mind CCs to an extent and for justifiable reasons. However, one thing they frown upon is if a majority of your pre-reqs come from CC. This doesn't show that you have challenged yourself. But for non-science courses, go for it.
I am not sure if taking science classes (possibly prereq) during the summer at a local CC is entirely justifiable. Sure, some schools might not mind, especially with a strong MCAT and GPA otherwise. But I do think that some schools would have concerns about it.

Jul 22, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
My schedule doesn't permit finishing pre-reqs without summer classes (spring = 18cr, this fall 19cr). I just completed one of my social science pre-reqs this summer. I took the class at the same university I attend. I planned on taking one of my writing pre-reqs next summer. All my hard science, math and labs are regular semester classes. Is this Ok?

Pagan FutureDoc

2+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2015
Status
MD/PhD Student
how many hours is "a bunch" of classes?

Just have a good reason behind it and be able to articulate that reason well and it shouldn't harm your chances.

CyrilFiggis

2+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I am not sure if taking science classes (possibly prereq) during the summer at a local CC is entirely justifiable. Sure, some schools might not mind, especially with a strong MCAT and GPA otherwise. But I do think that some schools would have concerns about it.
I was a post-bacc with a non-science degree so the only classes I've taken since 2013 have been core classes. I took BioChem (2 quarters) and Orgo2 (one semester) at CCs. This was 20% of my science classes and I'm still matriculating. AdComs are smart enough to see when someone is taking them out of necessity and when they're doing it to pad grades or coverup inadequacies. I not only had a full-time job, but I also couldn't afford paying $1,500/credit any longer. Furthermore, I had a 3.9 GPA from the other classes so I had already proven myself. I know n=1, but I've seen plenty of others on here with similar stories.

Mar 20, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I'm wth you on not taking pre-reqs and some science classes at a cc. But it's pretty justifiable for gen eds and certain BCPM classes considering that there's no financial aid in the summer so you get CRACKED with tuition. Nothing got me more broke or in debt than summer classes at my home university, especially when they don't offer you loans or any financial assistance for taking less than 6 credits.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I'm wth you on not taking pre-reqs and some science classes at a cc. But it's pretty justifiable for gen eds and certain BCPM classes considering that there's no financial aid in the summer so you get CRACKED with tuition. Nothing got me more broke or in debt than summer classes at my home university, especially when they don't offer you loans or any financial assistance for taking less than 6 credits.
Yea I mean one or two classes, even prereq is prob ok. But a solid 15 credit hours of prereqs is not a good idea imo.

Reactions: SwordOfTheMorning

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
My schedule doesn't permit finishing pre-reqs without summer classes (spring = 18cr, this fall 19cr). I just completed one of my social science pre-reqs this summer. I took the class at the same university I attend. I planned on taking one of my writing pre-reqs next summer. All my hard science, math and labs are regular semester classes. Is this Ok?
Yes.

MilaKunisDoe

2+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2016
According to an adcom member from NYU on a youtube video I watched:

---If you can score 90+ percentile on the MCAT, then taking some of your pre-reqs at a CC wouldn't be much of a problem