Summer Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Charlie

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about taking calculus this summer. Do any of you know how this would be looked upon by admissions committees?

Thanks in advance,
Charlie

Members don't see this ad.

I don't believe it really matters if you take calculus or not. If I am not mistaken, its not part of the so-called "pre-med prerequisites" for medical school.

What's more important is that you do well on it if you decide to take claculus this summer. If you are just doing the pre-med requirements right now to get ready for applying to med school, don't waste your time taking it. However, if you need to take calculus for your undergrad degree, try to do your very best on it. That last thing you want is to have your GPA get pulled down because of a course you really didn't need to take for medical school admissions.

Good Luck to you!!!!

Rob
WesternU/COMP Class of 2002

It just depends on where you apply to school. Some schools do not require calculus, but I have seen others who require it for admission. I am not sure which way is more prevalent though. If you know where you want to apply and it doesnt require calc I guess it just boils down to what you want to do. If you struggle in math and your school doesnt require it, then maybe you should forget it. However, if you are more math inclined go for it! I took it just b/c I like math and found out later that some schools require it. My advice would be to take it unless you don't think you can succeed. It would be better to take and not need it, than to skip it only to find that one of the schools you want to apply to requires it. Good luck.