Summer Classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Algophiliac

Someday...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it a good idea to take summer classes? I was thinking about taking Genetics and a few other random courses over the summer, in order to free up more space during the year. How would medical schools view something like this? I will be taking the class at the same unversity as my usual classes, so it wouldn't be cc classes or anything...anyone know?

Plus, I'm probably going to stay in the area anyway to volunteer at the hospital and do some other stuff, so I thought I might as well get a part-time job and take a class or two. Bad idea?

Members don't see this ad.

Do NOT take more then one, you will be super burnt out otherwise. I took a years worth of Chemistry over this last summer and did not fair as well as I would have had I taken it during the regular semester.
The classes are a bit more rushed and I can't say how many times we were told "we're going to have to skip this there just isn't enough time." Which ended up hurting me a little when I took my first OChem test and over half the test was review that we had skipped over.

Do NOT take more then one, you will be super burnt out otherwise. I took a years worth of Chemistry over this last summer and did not fair as well as I would have had I taken it during the regular semester.
The classes are a bit more rushed and I can't say how many times we were told "we're going to have to skip this there just isn't enough time." Which ended up hurting me a little when I took my first OChem test and over half the test was review that we had skipped over.

Well, genetics is only a semester long course, so I guess it would only cover half of the summer. I was naturally not thinking about taking another science class along with it, but rather a few general education classes, to get those out of the way. Or maybe a language requirement class or something.

But I do realize the importance of actually learning the material, so I asked around and was told the best science class to take over the summer is genetics, since it won't really be tested over that much in upper division classes at my university. I was also told labs are fine to take over the summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, genetics is only a semester long course, so I guess it would only cover half of the summer. I was naturally not thinking about taking another science class along with it, but rather a few general education classes, to get those out of the way. Or maybe a language requirement class or something.

But I do realize the importance of actually learning the material, so I asked around and was told the best science class to take over the summer is genetics, since it won't really be tested over that much in upper division classes at my university. I was also told labs are fine to take over the summer.

GE classes are good ones definitely, I personally am a bit wary of taking science over the summer again but maybe it just depends on the professor. A group of my friends took cell bio over the summer and said it was pretty simple. Genetics over the summer scared a few of my friends off and they ended up dropping.

Labs are pretty fun over the summer, mine were 3 days a week for 6 weeks. Not very much of an overload and we all got to know each other fairly well so everyone helped one another out.

I know from experience, Don't take Any Science or math related courses over the summer unless you want to miss the summer. I would take your regular B.S. classes like English, Psych, or Soc.

If you're willing to give up your whole summer, you could take a science class. I'm taking organic this summer. Definitely check with other students to find out how the summer class you want to take is compared to during the year. From asking some of my TAs, I found out that the summer orgo profat my school is INFINITELY better than the year-round prof and only teaches over the summer. I don't really care about having a free summer, so I'm taking it.

If you just want to do it for credits, though, don't take science classes. Take some gen eds or elective. Two summers ago I took intro psych and some history class so I could get credits out of the way, and they were SUPER easy. Great GPA boost, since most people were doing it because they failed the first time.

If you're willing to give up your whole summer, you could take a science class. I'm taking organic this summer. Definitely check with other students to find out how the summer class you want to take is compared to during the year. From asking some of my TAs, I found out that the summer orgo profat my school is INFINITELY better than the year-round prof and only teaches over the summer. I don't really care about having a free summer, so I'm taking it.

If you just want to do it for credits, though, don't take science classes. Take some gen eds or elective. Two summers ago I took intro psych and some history class so I could get credits out of the way, and they were SUPER easy. Great GPA boost, since most people were doing it because they failed the first time.

I took 16 credit hours last summer, and although it was brutal on me I'm glad I accomplished it. I do not regret it, but I was not able to work nor was I able to do research or volunteer. I recommend only taking 1 or 2 classes over the summer, it will help your progress. The thing is with summer courses, you only have one class to worry about and you will probably have that class 4 times a week. You are more focused on the class and that focus can really help with an upper level course like organic chemistry or genetics. It's all up to you, but I definitely recommend it. I would've felt like I wasted time not having taken classes last summer, it really gives you flexibility when it comes to taking classes during the regular semester having taken classes over the summer.

I took 16 credit hours last summer, and although it was brutal on me I'm glad I accomplished it. I do not regret it, but I was not able to work nor was I able to do research or volunteer. I recommend only taking 1 or 2 classes over the summer, it will help your progress. The thing is with summer courses, you only have one class to worry about and you will probably have that class 4 times a week. You are more focused on the class and that focus can really help with an upper level course like organic chemistry or genetics. It's all up to you, but I definitely recommend it. I would've felt like I wasted time not having taken classes last summer, it really gives you flexibility when it comes to taking classes during the regular semester having taken classes over the summer.

16?! WOAH! I thought I over killed it with 10! I worked and volunteered too thought but props for surviving that summer.

16?! WOAH! I thought I over killed it with 10! I worked and volunteered too thought but props for surviving that summer.

Thanks man, I took Orgo I and II, Bio II, and History of Rock and Roll.

I ended the summer with 3.92 GPA, my best semester of college so far. I studied like none other though, at least 30 hours a week.

If you've got time for it, go for it. I like the accelerated pace a lot better - it keeps you focused. Be careful not to burn out, though. It IS the summer.

I'm planning on Orgo I and II and Intro to Art this summer.. So excited

I am planning to take Chem 2 w/lab. what do you guys think about this? Will it affect my performance on Ochem 1 and later on MCAT?

Eddie

I did a year of physics over the summer. I can't remember if it was 2 or 3 hour lectures, then we had labs on alternating days. Best decision ever. I was a double major, and wouldn't have been able to complete both if it weren't for summer classes.

My understanding is as long as you take the classes at your school, or one deemed higher/better, there shouldn't be any problems. Taking them at a CC may seem like taking the easy way out.

I took two science classes last summer and plan on taking a.chem this summer. I really like having to take fewer credits per semester vs having three months to work full time. I think its a good idea and I doubt it would factor into the adcoms decision in a negitive way at all. If anything, it might look better.

New question regarding this post:

I have a job where work is random 20-32 hours a week. I want to take a summer class that involves science (thinking orgo 2+ lab or physics 2+ lab).

Which class would you suggest more for summer while working? I took a chem and calc class my freshman summer and I burnt out badly, so I know how the burn-out goes.

:thumbup:
Thanks man, I took Orgo I and II, Bio II, and History of Rock and Roll.

Haha, I love that. I wish my university offered that course. Probably 20 of those 30 hours studying were spent on history ;) :thumbup: