summer classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc-H

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was just wondering if it would be crazy to take a biochemistry class in a six week summer course. am i risking doing damage to my gpa?

Members don't see this ad.

I would do it. I know many people who have and they didn't have any problems with it. It would probably be better to do it in the summer if you would have to take it at the same time as a bunch of other science classes. You might do better having just that class during the summer to worry about.

thanks for your opinion pathologist. you are right. i am trying to avoid taking too many science classes in a semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't. Biochem can be a very intense class, though oftentimes, it depends on whether it's being offered by the bio dept or the chem dept. Do you honestly think that you'll get as much out of 6 weeks as you would in a normal semester? I can't even beleive they are offereing this in 6 weeks. At my school, they run 8 week and 13 week summer classes. I would never attempt to do a science class in 6 weeks. First of all, the instructor will probably not finish all the material, so you will lack some information that the fall/winter students will have received. Secondly, even if you do well (which you could, but you'd really have to spend a lot of time studying because the pace will be fast) how much do you think you'll actually retain, since you will be doing a lot of cramming? And finally, universities love sticking unqualified TA's in lecturing postitions in the summer. If a grad student is teaching the class and not a regular instructor, it definately won't be worth it.

If you do end up taking it, the best of luck to you. But you might be better off waiting if this is a class you really want to get a lot out of. You might want to consider not signing up for the class, but attending the lectures. That way, when you take it in the fall for credit, you'll be somewhat familar with the material already, and you won't have to spend so much time studying it in the fall.

------------------
^v^

I have to disagree with Alceria. If this will be the only class you take this summer, and are doing nothing else and can devote yourself 100% to it for 6 weeks, you may learn more and retain more than if you take it along with 2 or 3 other big classes which compete for your time, or a job. If you can't devote yourself to it like this, consider auditing it instead and taking it for a grade when the opportunity next arises.

I would take it-- it'll allow you to lessen your class load a little and maybe add another science class for that BCPM.
I took a Biochem class over 6 weeks (taught by our o-chem professor) and I will have to admit it was the closest thing, intensity wise, to medical school. It may just give you a taste of what the "real deal" is like.

take it easy

Homonculus

Homonculus, if u don't mind me asking how did u do in your biochem class in the summer?

Thanks for your advice

doc-H

God, maybe it's just my school, but the quality of instruction for our science classes suck in the summer. I wouldn't take a chem class past organic in the summer if my life depended on it. I'm surprised no one else agrees with me.

------------------
^v^