Summer Consulting, PE, VC, Angel, HF, etc. for healthcare students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

linsy22689

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

A lot of posts have been created about exit opps for MD/other healthcare students looking for career choices in consulting. I was wondering if anybody knew companies that were looking to hire grad healthcare students for summer internships? I know that McKinsey routinely hires APDs as interns. Are there other amazing organizations out there that do similar things?

The OP's background in case you are wondering: starting DMD year 1 at UPenn this fall, 2-month commercialization/BD background at one of the world's largest non-profit research institutes; hoping to go into healthcare consulting, medical (specifically dental/oral) devices and products, and healthcare/life science investing. Currently thinking of not specializing but going for the MBA instead after graduation. I'm keen to begin with consulting because it offers the most diverse experiences especially as a fast hitter among the different industries. Also, being a DMD student doesn't preclude me from taking up interests in other medical fields, so I'm looking for diverse summer opportunities.

If you have info, please let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks Dr. Kim! I've seen this before, as well as McKinsey's summer opportunities. Do you know whether attending events like Bridge to BCG will place candidates at a significant advantage in the application process? Also, are you aware of any longer, ideally 1-/2-month long summer internship programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Dr. Kim! I've seen this before, as well as McKinsey's summer opportunities. Do you know whether attending events like Bridge to BCG will place candidates at a significant advantage in the application process? Also, are you aware of any longer, ideally 1-/2-month long summer internship programs?

You need to get accepted to attend these types of programs. You'll certainly be at a significant advantage if you invest the time to apply and attend these types of events.

I'd recommend holding off on the MBA until you have work experience, if at all possible at one of the Big 4 (McKinsey, Bain, BCG, Booz). Lots of times the elite MBA programs require work experience, and prestigious firms recruit almost exclusively at top MBA programs for MBA level positions (consultant or higher).

I'd email around to some local recruiters at these firms. MDs with any sort of business background are in demand.

A great summer opportunity that I actually participated in was the Tuck School of Business (Dartmouth) Business Bridge Program. It's for non-business majors who want basically, an intense summer MBA. Gives you accy, finance, business admin, applied econ, marketing experience. They connect you with recruiters and it's a great addition to the resume. PM me if you have any questions.

http://www.tuck.dartmouth.edu/bridge/