Summer Courses & Experience? How did/do you get it--- HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

_formidable_

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently graduated from Undergrad (Accounting & Business) switching careers early.

I am outline pre-reqs and I want to finish them in 1/2 years? is this feasible P.S I need every single class except the behavioral sciences and English courses -- I will be working full-time.

Are summer classes frowned upon?

What are some ways I can began getting my hours? Can I even start shadowing with little background experience? I plan to do my own side study through open course-wares and Khan Academy starting next month. I plan to start taking courses this summer/fall.

Members don't see this ad.

I have recently graduated from Undergrad (Accounting & Business) switching careers early.

I am outline pre-reqs and I want to finish them in 1/2 years? is this feasible P.S I need every single class except the behavioral sciences and English courses -- I will be working full-time.

Are summer classes frowned upon?

What are some ways I can began getting my hours? Can I even start shadowing with little background experience? I plan to do my own side study through open course-wares and Khan Academy starting next month. I plan to start taking courses this summer/fall.
One year isn't doable. You need a full year of general chemistry, physics and biology, all of which you could take your first year. You then need to to take organic chemistry and biochemistry which will take another year. Throw in some psych classes and maybe some other upper level bio classes and you've got a full schedule for two years.

Summer classes are generally fine but they are much harder and the material is accelerated so think carefully about which classes you choose to take in the summer. I know many smart people who made terrible grades in summer ochem. Just know what you're getting into and choose classes wisely.

Anyone can shadow. There are no shadowing requirements. Not sure your level of exposure to medicine at this point but I would recommend shadowing and getting some clinical experience (volunteer is fine) before started this journey. It's easy to romanticize medicine, much better to have a more realistic view of what it's like day to day.

What is your GPA from your previous degree? If it isn't competitive you will have to take more courses and work even harder to bring it up.

Working full time will be rough, especially because it isn't just about prereqs. You also need to consider clinical and non-clinical volunteering, research and other extracurriculars to make you a more well rounded applicant.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I think if you absolutely have to work full-time, you should plan on it taking at least 2 years before you apply (which means a total of 3 years until you matriculate). But honestly I would plan for even longer because you'll also need a block of time to study for the MCAT.

There are basically 9 science classes you'll need. You likely will not be able to take summer classes, as those are generally quite condensed and during the daytime hours - particularly so for all the labs you'll have to take.

You should get your medical exposure NOW,before you commit to the whole thing. So start seeking out shadowing opportunities and medically related volunteering or part-time jobs if you can. A few hours a week will be plenty over the course of two years. I am assuming you have other, non-medical volunteering in place already. If not, perhaps think if that's something you'd like to be involved with at all. It can help your application but that shouldn't be your primary motivation - just a consideration in how you plan out your weekly schedule. I know that when I just graduated from college, I specifically wanted to volunteer so that I could have a focus other than just work - I wanted to have a reminder of the things that really matter in life).

Don't be upset if the process takes longer than you initially planned. Life happens and can get in the way, but if this is something you really want to do,it'll still be there when you are ultimately ready.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't be upset if the process takes longer than you initially planned. Life happens and can get in the way, but if this is something you really want to do, it'll still be there when you are ultimately ready.

Everything else the person put in her/his post but especially the part I pulled out. Oft stated, 100% accurate: marathon, not sprint.

Working full time and taking summer courses is a bad idea unless you take the super easy pre req's (like bio 1 and 2 with posh professors). Taking something like Ochem in the summer and working full time and pulling an A basically means you're already a neurosurgeon and can just apply directly for your board certification in kickArsery :dead:

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you all for the encouragement and information! Marathon not a sprint ✅-- I do want to do well in my courses.

Maybe I will be able to do part -time work. I completely agree that I should begin my shadowing before I commit to it all.

I have a lot of volunteer experience -- just not the health/medicine field. I will be contacting organizations this week.

LOL def not a neurosurgeon

Volunteering is volunteering... it's giving of yourself and your time with no expectations in return of $$; in my own ECs I have horse rescue/rehab, great dane rescue/rehab/rehome, Habitat for Humanity, water well drilling in Peru... a complete mix of things... and it's been something I've done since high school or even earlier.

Just find a cause you really believe in and donate your time...though I would caution on putting things politically related on an application as you never know who might be on the opposing side (I have political volunteerism as well - 3,000 hours worth - but it appears no where...)

Volunteering is volunteering... it's giving of yourself and your time with no expectations in return of $$; in my own ECs I have horse rescue/rehab, great dane rescue/rehab/rehome, Habitat for Humanity, water well drilling in Peru... a complete mix of things... and it's been something I've done since high school or even earlier.

Just find a cause you really believe in and donate your time...though I would caution on putting things politically related on an application as you never know who might be on the opposing side (I have political volunteerism as well - 3,000 hours worth - but it appears no where...)

I too have Habitat for Humanity-- Most recently its volunteering as an ESL teacher. ( I have a certification in that). I usually don't get too involved with politics because of that reason. Can I ask why you decided to go the Med route ? I see it says your pre- med -- what did you do before this if anything?

Both HH and ESL are great!

long story on how I got to here... currently work for global law firm; was VP Internal Audit $2B SEC registrant before that... and some consulting.