Summer courses to raise GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stat3113

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Say I apply to med school next summer (June 08.) Both my UG GPA and BCMP could still use some improvement.

Now the GPA numbers that schools will see on AMCAS will include work from up to Spring 08. Is there a point to taking another course or two to slightly raise the GPA in Summer 08? What about Fall 08?

I assume I would take these extra courses and be sending updates to AMCAS as it happens? And after that, I would be updating schools on secondaries, etc.

Is there a point to this (taking a few more courses in Summer and Fall?) I'm hoping (praying lol) that both UG and BCMP would already be in 3.3 territory by AMCAS time. So any changes would be small and would raise me above this basepoint.

Members don't see this ad.

You can't send updates to AMCAS, but you can send them to the individual schools.

Say I apply to med school next summer (June 08.) Both my UG GPA and BCMP could still use some improvement.

Now the GPA numbers that schools will see on AMCAS will include work from up to Spring 08. Is there a point to taking another course or two to slightly raise the GPA in Summer 08? What about Fall 08?

I assume I would take these extra courses and be sending updates to AMCAS as it happens? And after that, I would be updating schools on secondaries, etc.

Is there a point to this (taking a few more courses in Summer and Fall?) I'm hoping (praying lol) that both UG and BCMP would already be in 3.3 territory by AMCAS time. So any changes would be small and would raise me above this basepoint.

Well, not everyone gets in the first time they apply, so certainly any courses you take after you apply would be included if you had to become a reapplicant. This is potentially a consideration if you are praying to be in 3.3 territory.