Which one?

• Clev Clinic Internship

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • Finish undergrad to start MPH

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Dec 5, 2013
I am in a tough position of deciding what to do over the summer. The two options are listed below:

1. I finish my last three courses over the summer to graduate in three years and start the MPH program that my school offers (it is not a top school by any means). I need to graduate before I can start the program.

2. I go to an internship at the Cleveland Clinic for research that conflicts with times for classes to finish option #1.

What do you think is the better route to choose?

Aug 8, 2013
Michigan
Status
Medical Student
Do you know that you want a MPH, would you get one if it wasn't convenient? I don't know that having an MPH is going to do anything for your application that some great ECs can't do. If you do the research, then graduate in December, you have a whole 6 months to do a cool internship/job/volunteering gig.

OP
shinsoochoo
Dec 5, 2013
Do you know that you want a MPH, would you get one if it wasn't convenient? I don't know that having an MPH is going to do anything for your application that some great ECs can't do. If you do the research, then graduate in December, you have a whole 6 months to do a cool internship/job/volunteering gig.
I will pursue an MPH later on if I don't pursue one now. If I am applying in June, will I be able to put these ECs (CCF internship and others that you mentioned) even if they happen after application submission?

Aug 8, 2013
Michigan
Status
Medical Student
I will pursue an MPH later on if I don't pursue one now. If I am applying in June, will I be able to put these ECs (CCF internship and others that you mentioned) even if they happen after application submission?
Sorry, you can't put anything on your application that has a future start date. Many secondaries, however, have an essay that asks what your plans are for the upcoming year. You can also send updates to schools during the application cycle, though it is not clear how much those are looked at (very much depends on the school). If you were to start you activity June 1st, however, and then submit your application June 2nd, you could put the activity down because it has a current start date (and you are allowed to put a future end date). The downside is that you probably won't have very much to say about this activity if you have just started it.

Lya

5+ Year Member
May 13, 2013
NY
Status
Medical Student
You may mention them on secondaries (they ask you what you are doing until the matriculation), interviews and update letters.

CCF internship hands down, period. If you really want to pursue MPH, I think the institution where you get it matters in terms of the amount of networking you will be able to get, so I would not consider getting it just for your application.

MPH itself does not help much for your application, as similarly noted by admission members like LizzyM, unless you accomplished something significant through that program and it is a significant part of your future career plan.