Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Summer dental research

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by ddstobe, Apr 18, 2007.

1. ddstobe

5+ Year Member

ok guys, please help me out here...

I'd like to get some dental research experience in a school that I'm attending over this summer but I have absolutely no research experience whatsoever. How do I approach the researchers and ask for a volunteer opportunity? I'm thinking to start reading some of the works/researches they've done and email them about my interest. Good/bad idea??? And also, I'll be taking the DAT sometime before my summer school start (in mid-June). Do you guys think I should wait until I'm done with the DAT or should I start with the research and all at the same time. Anybody in the same boat? comments/suggestion???:confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dontwakeme

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    If you goto a large research university like I do, it isn't difficult to find a lab to work in. I just went to the website, found a list of research projects and emailed every person on that list. I received a good amount of responses. Granted, you might have to settle for volunteer work, but any research is good research and there's always potential to make money or get published if you stay long enough and show dedication.

4. ddstobe

5+ Year Member

Did you customize the emails when you sent it out to every person? Have you done any homework before you sent them out? Thank you for the reply. :)

5. ddstobe

5+ Year Member

6. Drill2Fill

Drill2Fill DentalStudentWannabe
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I went to school near a state dental school, so I just went to their website and found someone doing research in something I thought was interesting. If you plan on volunteering, they probably won't have a problem with you being around. This is what I did, and it eventually led into an research assistant job.

7. ddstobe

5+ Year Member

Did you email them regarding your interest or did you walk up to the office? How long had you volunteered there before they started to hire you as a r-assistant? Thanks.

8. Drill2Fill

Drill2Fill DentalStudentWannabe
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I actually emailed two different researchers, and waited a week and never heard anything from them. I eventually just called one and asked the secretary to set up a meeting for me. I volunteered during my spring semester, and became an official assistant that summer.

9. Mstoothlady2012

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    are research hours that imp for d-schools? i am doing voluntary work at hospital but my pre-health advisor told me that i dont need to stress out for research hours...its not as imp as it is for med students...as long as u have voluntary & shadowing hours you are fine....
    is this true?do u guys think i should get some research hours?

a

10. ddstobe

5+ Year Member

Good question...does research experience help? To make the first cut, you'll need some awesome stats, would r-experience make the second?

11. ddstobe

5+ Year Member