1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

summer employment

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by armybound, May 4, 2007.

1. armybound

armybound urologist.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    What do you guys do for summer employment? I seem to be having a hard time finding people (in the medical field) willing to employ me for just 2-3 months.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Ben25

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I work in a pharmacy. I fill RX's and answer phones. Its kind of boring, but you get use to drug names (generic vs. brand).

4. BigRedPremed

BigRedPremed Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Worked in data entry/processing the summer after my freshman year. Good pay: $13.50/hr. Did a research internship the other summer.

5. jochi1543

jochi1543 President, Gunner Central
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I'm a little different since I was on a visa and could only work on campus or for academic credit (i.e. internship or research).

1st summer: on-campus job (housing office)
    2nd summer: internship in my then-major (economics, specifically at a Gulf Coast stevedore)
    3rd summer: was on study abroad, thank GOD (job search when you're so limited SUCKS)

6. emaj1n

emaj1n M1
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was going to recommend a pharmacy, but I don't know if they would be willing to hire for only two months. There is a lot of legal and procedural training that frontloads the first month or two. Are you beginning medical school in August? If not, maybe you could tell the pharmacy that you could work one day a week during your next undergrad semester.

How quickly could you finish training to substitute at your local high or middle school for summer school?

7. mediocriskid

mediocriskid Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

be a gigalo

8. Aggie07grl

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    If you like kids, a lot of people in my area are looking for nannies and babysitters for the summer. I would check your local paper for stuff. Also spread the word that you are looking for summer work to friends...you would be suprised at the jobs that might come up.

Good luck and God bless!