summer enrichment program to improve mcat score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drwham

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i will be taking my mcat this may, but i am also thinking of applying to a few summer enrichment programs for the summer. then i will retake the mcat again in august after the program. is this a good idea? has anyone increased their mcat score significantly after taking a summer enrichment program? Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I think the program you are referring to is that Kaplan summer thing that supposedly costs something like $6,000 per student, right? If so, I really can't imagine how that wouldn't be a huge waste of money; just buy some kaplan/examkrackers books or even sign up for the online resources (probably $1000 max) and you should be fine.

I think that is a horrible idea. NEVER plan on retaking. NEVER take the test on a whim. It will only amount to a waste of time and money ($225 to take the MCAT once).

About the course itself, it hasn't gotten good reviews in the past (if it is the program Archdelux it talking about). I believe the general consensus on the class was that it wasn't worth it. However, there have only been a couple threads on the subject. Bottom line, your money is better spent elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the post above.

I found it hard to motivate myself for the test even when i had no plans at all of retaking it. If i had plans of retaking it, my motivation to do good the first time would have been lost, and i probably would have done hardly any good studying at all.

I havent heard of the program or what if offers...but i took the kaplan course for 1,500 dollars and i thought that that was a waste of money. The resources were great, but its not like being in a class with a teacher teaching me the material was worth 1,500 dollars. I had a class of about 10 kids, and 3-4 of them were not coming to class by the end of the program. They felt the teaching wasn't really giving them anything that they couldnt do themselves at home. I would agree. If i had to do it all over again, i would have just bought the kaplan or examkrackers content review books, and the kaplan online resources (which consists of 10 practice tests, "mini" topic quizzes on each science topic, and section tests). And i beleive i could have bought all these things for about 300-400 dollars.

no, the program is a summer enrichment program. it has mcat practice as part of it but also includes clinical exposure, seminars, academic classes and such for pre-med students.

i am trying to decide on whether i should apply to a summer research program or a summer enrichment program. the research program would be mainly research, whereas the summer enrichment program includes mcat preparation along with clinical exposure and academic classes.

Definitely research program. That enrichment program just sounds like it wants to rip off money from insecure pre-med kids.

Definitely do not do the enrichment course.

If you want a review course, just take the basic classroom course.

You should be able to study a bit on your own...especially considering you are going to have many similar standardized tests in the future if you want to go to medical school.

The summer reseach program will build up your application, and should be a good experience.

If you do decide to do the "MCAT summer enrichment" program, I wouldn't list it on the application, even if you do some shadowing. It really doesn't tell the admission committee anything, other than you had enough money to pay for the program.

So, my advice is go with the research program...stay far away from the MCAT enrichment thing. If you need structured review, the Kaplan classroom course is ok ( but expensive, check to see if you qualify financial aid). You will have to spend some long nights in the library studying on your own and taking practice tests, but I don't think an fulltime program is the way to go.