summer fellowship research and networking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redblue

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been fortunate to be accepted into a competitive summer research fellowship program, and I'll be doing research in a competitive specialty that I'm very interested in pursuing. Because competitive specialties are usually small fields where the "who you know" is really helpful, I was wondering if people had any advice in terms of networking and making the most of the fellowship. Because I'm assigned a research project and mentor, I feel like asking to shadow someone else or asking to join another project would come off very poorly to my mentor. At the same time, my mentor has also mentioned to me that I'll only be in clinic with her once/week and the rest of the time with other people not necessarily in the department. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
First and foremost, focus on what you're there to do. Work your tail off and demonstrate your work ethic and intelligence through your actions. Start your networking with your mentor and get to know her as best you can. Ask her advice about building a career in the field, etc. Once you've established a good working relationship and she knows you're the real deal, start asking about other people in the department and who you should work with, etc. Let your mentor broker the introductions if possible and allow her to be an advocate for you. I'd start with this and then let things happen organically. This approach has served me well at my own institution, at fellowships at other institutions, national meetings, etc. But don't forget: you need to deliver the goods and do solid work. The "who you know" only helps you if those people think highly of you.

premed who hasn't taken the MCAT yet is not a similar boat...

Rude. I'm actually startin up a journal at my school that will include an Advisory Board, so I clearly AM in the same boat as I'd like to reach out to other professionals.

Sorry your underachieving mindset does not understand that anyone can be in any boat they want to be in.

Rude. I'm actually startin up a journal at my school that will include an Advisory Board, so I clearly AM in the same boat as I'd like to reach out to other professionals.

Sorry your underachieving mindset does not understand that anyone can be in any boat they want to be in.

What a jerk. Find somethng else to do on SDN.

What a jerk. Find somethng else to do on SDN.

?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
no...hence my encouragement for people to respond to the original post...but what you posted seem to be of no purpose at all??

It was to point out the utter lack of awareness in your posts and your childish name calling.

Reactions: 2 users
\

I was going to troll but instead I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
a) you're not in the same boat, not even close
b) just send them a damn email

To OP:

You really need to judge the situation well - many PIs do not appreciate being "networked". Don't suppose you are from a business background but I noticed a big difference between the level of willingness to put up with "networking" between highly successful (read: busy) science-minded versus business-minded people.

My best networking advice, however, is just to work hard, contribute often (be outspoken, but only on topics for which you are well-informed), and learn to tell a story. That last point is nuanced, but in my experience people associate well to stories and if you are good enough at telling one, you will be remembered for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I think it kind of depends what your fellowship is in, and who you are with. Is this clinical research or basic science research? Is your PI working on several projects? If you are in the clinic with her once a week, does that give you opportunities to meet other attendings? I'm in one of those fellowships right now, for anesthesia. My mentor, fortunately, is very good about trying to get me to meet people- residency director, other attendings who have some weight, residents, students, everyone. He's also doing a few projects and got me involved on a few. I'd say, bust your butt and get good work done on what you've been assigned, and express interest in helping with any other projects she's doing. If you can look at the schedule for the clinic and see that there are patients with interesting cases, ask if you think there's a way you can get in on that- if she'd put you in contact with the attending on that person's case. Best of luck!