Summer ideas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texaspremed1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I only get about month off for summer between M1 and M2. I have a research gig where i fill out spreadsheets so I am thinking I might just do that back home. Would that be enough for a summer? There are global health trips and paid shadowing programs available but I am leaning towards the spreadsheets so I could have a relaxing summer and travel.

Members don't see this ad.

I played Rocket League about 50 hours a week. I played rocket league for the first time about a week into summer vacation and racked over 400 hours into it by the end of my summer.

But I'm also not trying to match Derm.

Reactions: 3 users
I had a similar research gig during my M1/2 summer. It ended up resulting in my getting a first-author publication in a major journal about a year later.

Moral is: You never know where simple "scut" research work will land you. Always remember that the M1/2 summer is the last summer you'll have for many years! If you want to do your spreadsheet research project and enjoy the rest of your summer, that's what you should do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Your plan sounds reasonable. As long as you have something productive to show (in this case your research gig) for your summer, I would take it easy this summer.

I had a similar research gig during my M1/2 summer. It ended up resulting in my getting a first-author publication in a major journal about a year later.

Moral is: You never know where simple "scut" research work will land you. Always remember that the M1/2 summer is the last summer you'll have for many years! If you want to do your spreadsheet research project and enjoy the rest of your summer, that's what you should do.
That sounds like a pretty sweet deal. I got a research fellowship lined up for 2 projects over the summer and I've been thinking about picking up some chart review work if possible. Do you have any tips on research work in retrospect?

What are "paid shadowing programs"?

That sounds like a pretty sweet deal. I got a research fellowship lined up for 2 projects over the summer and I've been thinking about picking up some chart review work if possible. Do you have any tips on research work in retrospect?

I would say be open about whom you do research with. You may have your heart set on cardiac surgery, but a bariatric surgeon happens to respond to your inquiries looking for research opportunities and appears to be the most organized, enthusiastic about your participation, etc. Go with with an adviser who is generally related to your field of interest AND who seems to actually want to involve you in projects and will help you out. Avoid anybody who takes weeks to respond to every question, seems disinterested in working with students, etc.

Beyond that, just stay in touch after your initial semester or summer of research work. Ask if there is anything you can help with in terms of wrapping up projects you started, any manuscripts you can help write up, etc. Be proactive when opportunities arise. Of course, always keep in mind that your classes and rotations come first. Don't allow your research to make other academic things suffer.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user