Summer Internship App LOR--as freshman

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ichor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am I wrong to assume it'd be a bad idea to ask my university teachers, whom I've only had for 1 semester?

(so I should ask my HS teachers)

Members don't see this ad.

No, ask your college professors, the typical rule is that high school no longer exists after you graduate. It is a pain when you are just starting out, but we all faced this dilemma and internships etc do not expect gold LOrs from first years.

Get letters from your university profs. Ideally, they will have gotten to know you a little more outside of class (ie. before and after class, office hours). It may be helpful if you talk to them about why you're pursuing that internship.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, ask your college professors, the typical rule is that high school no longer exists after you graduate. It is a pain when you are just starting out, but we all faced this dilemma and internships etc do not expect gold LOrs from first years.

Would you say it's condemning to do so? Like 1 from a college prof, 1 from a HS teach?

Get letters from your university profs. Ideally, they will have gotten to know you a little more outside of class (ie. before and after class, office hours). It may be helpful if you talk to them about why you're pursuing that internship.

I've done decently this first semester, but unfortunately I wouldn't say I've gotten as close to my professors as I may have wanted. I admit, I was a lazy **** this semester and didn't take the initiative to get close to any of my professors because I wasn't going to have any of those professors again in college.

They should all be from college professors as this point unfortunately. From my friends, I've heard that most college professors will write a letter for their students even if all they know is their letter grade. Maybe you could ask a TA to write it for you (who knows you better) and have the professor co-sign it?

Your best bet is to email a few profs you had this past semester (and whose class you did well in). Ask if they would be willing to meet with you in person to talk.

Hmm, I'm trying to apply to NIH SIP in particular. The online instructions video for their app says to list UG grades and classes, and also HS grades and classes if applying as a freshman.

So do you guys think that this means HS teacher LOR's are still as bad? (last question, I swear!)

Hmm, I'm trying to apply to NIH SIP in particular. The online instructions video for their app says to list UG grades and classes, and also HS grades and classes if applying as a freshman.

So do you guys think that this means HS teacher LOR's are still as bad? (last question, I swear!)

We think that getting high school LORs is not a good idea. If you are really set on it, I would call the program contact and ask them directly. In general I do not think you will go wrong with all college LORs...how many do you need anyhow? We're you assigned an advisor for college? You can ask them what they think and, depending how well you know them by this point, they may write a letter for you as well.