summer internship at NIH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whateverucan617

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I need your advice...

I was offered an internship at NIH for this upcoming summer .
I was wondering whether I should take the offer or not..
I was planning to graduate this summer but if I take the internship, I will have to be in school for 6 more months.

Also, the internship is not directly related to medical field. I still think it is a good opportunity though D: ..

Also, do you guys think it's possible to study for mcat while taking school courses (probably 12 credits)?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

How invested are you in research? Is it the cornerstone of your application? Would further bolstering research be more useful than the extra cash and time? Are there any weaknesses in your app, which could be fixed given the extra time?

1) What year are you?
2) What do your stats look like? If you haven't taken the MCAT, you'll have to wait another cycle anyway...
3) Research at the NIH is a great EC. Do you have other research? It doesn't need to be "the cornerstone" or whatever of your app.
4) Do you need more time for volunteering and etc?

Members don't see this ad :)
How invested are you in research? Is it the cornerstone of your application? Would further bolstering research be more useful than the extra cash and time? Are there any weaknesses in your app, which could be fixed given the extra time?
1) What year are you?
2) What do your stats look like? If you haven't taken the MCAT, you'll have to wait another cycle anyway...
3) Research at the NIH is a great EC. Do you have other research? It doesn't need to be "the cornerstone" or whatever of your app.
4) Do you need more time for volunteering and etc?

1)I am a senior. If I do internship in summer, I will be super senior next year. D':
How does it look like if you take 4 1/2 years to graduate college.

2) My gpa is not really competitive.. I am considering DO option as well. My cumilative gpa is 3.43 so far which is not competitive at all.. I believe that my science gpa is lower than that.
3) I do have other research experiences. I have been working as an undergraduate research assistant for ~ 1 year. I was a student helper for ~6 months (jsut entering data, etc).
I participated in igem (syntehtic biology) competition as a member of my school team so I guess it counts as another research experience?
4)Yes. I do need more time for volunteering...

Should I just skip internship, graduate in summer and focus on Mcat afterword? I heard that it is hard to take classes and study for Mcat at the same time.

I was also considering looking for scribing opportunity if I skip internship...so I guess my question is ..

option 1) summer internship over the summer+ 6 more months of school work while preparing for MCAT (for about 6 months)
option 2 ) skip summer internship and finish school in summer + focus on MCAT and maybe look for scribe job?? (for about 6 months)

Thanks..

1)I am a senior. If I do internship in summer, I will be super senior next year. D':

2) My gpa is not really competitive.. I am considering DO option as well. My cumilative gpa is 3.43 so far which is not competitive at all.. I believe that my science gpa is lower than that.
3) I do have other research experiences. I have been working as an undergraduate research assistant for ~ 1 year. I was a student helper for ~6 months (jsut entering data, etc).
I participated in igem (syntehtic biology) competition as a member of my school team so I guess it counts as another research experience?

Should I just skip internship, graduate in summer and focus on Mcat afterword? I heard that it is hard to take classes and study for Mcat at the same time.

I was also considering looking for scribing opportunity if I skip internship...so I guess my question is ..

option 1) summer internship over the summer+ 6 more months of school work while preparing for MCAT (for about 6 months)
option 2 ) skip summer internship and finish school in summer + focus on MCAT and maybe look for scribe job?? (for about 6 months)

Thanks..
I have many friends who took classes and did MCAT prep at the same time. It can definitely be done.
Besides, if you were to do a gap year next year, do you have plans set up? You would need to do something really productive during the gap year, otherwise it may not look good. It may be a good idea to take this internship and take a light load next term while MCAT prepping. See if there's a way you can be a part-time student next term, perhaps volunteer a few hours a week and MCAT prep-that would be good.

Thanks..
IMO, I wild focus on the basics- MCAT GPA and volunteering. If you think you can manage with an internship go for it. Otherwise stay focused!