Summer Internship for Research or Clinical 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychyes93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am interested in gaining research experience this summer, in an internship where I could potentially work with faculty, conduct research in areas such as social, cognitive, neuro, and possibly a clinical portion, as well? It is a bit late in terms of deadlines, but anyone know any reputable programs?

Much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you enrolled in college? It's much too late to apply for summer undergraduate research programs and probably too late to join a faculty member's lab. It's a better use of your time to look for opportunities in the next academic year.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you enrolled in college? It's much too late to apply for summer undergraduate research programs and probably too late to join a faculty member's lab. It's a better use of your time to look for opportunities in the next academic year.

No, I have graduated undergraduate already. I really wanted to start getting involved this summer, as I have determined a PsyD or PhD is the best route for me going forward, and wanted to gain research and/or clinical experience at least before September..

Would there be a chance to work with a professor in his lab during the summer?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I have graduated undergraduate already. I really wanted to start getting involved this summer, as I have determined a PsyD or PhD is the best route for me going forward, and wanted to gain research and/or clinical experience at least before September..

Would there be a chance to work with a professor in his lab during the summer?

I doubt it, but have you asked any of your former professors?

If you have a bachelor's degree you could try looking at the employment sites for local universities, academic medical centers, etc. to find out if they have any RA positions open. If you're open to relocating you can also look for positions posted on listservs and on this site: http://clinicalpsychgradschool.org/pbacc.php

If you are willing to volunteer, you should just ask around at your local universities. Don't just limit your search to departments of psychology but look for faculty who might be doing research in your area in public health, education, social welfare, medicine, and/or nursing. Things change and openings come up, even this late in the game. I am housed in a research center within the school of public health of a R1 and we had 3 RA positions open up in the last few weeks for various reasons (which we quickly filled up by going through our list of people who inquired about positions for the summer, some only inquiring in the last two weeks). So just send many emails around and inquire as to what is available, doesn't hurt to try.

If you are willing to volunteer, you should just ask around at your local universities. Don't just limit your search to departments of psychology but look for faculty who might be doing research in your area in public health, education, social welfare, medicine, and/or nursing. Things change and openings come up, even this late in the game. I am housed in a research center within the school of public health of a R1 and we had 3 RA positions open up in the last few weeks for various reasons (which we quickly filled up by going through our list of people who inquired about positions for the summer, some only inquiring in the last two weeks). So just send many emails around and inquire as to what is available, doesn't hurt to try.

Thanks, never thought of that. Will give it a go!

No offense to other posters, but I don't agree with them in telling you that it's too late.

Well, it is too late to apply for formal summer research training programs, and to be honest when the OP used the word "internship" I thought she was referring to something more organized. But that's why I asked a follow-up question for clarification.

By all means, knock on doors and volunteer, or better yet, try to get paid for what you do. But also keep looking for future opportunities because advance planning pays at this stage of the game.

Reactions: 1 user
I doubt it, but have you asked any of your former professors?

If you have a bachelor's degree you could try looking at the employment sites for local universities, academic medical centers, etc. to find out if they have any RA positions open. If you're open to relocating you can also look for positions posted on listservs and on this site: http://clinicalpsychgradschool.org/pbacc.php

That website looks like a great resource, thanks!

Well, it is too late to apply for formal summer research training programs, and to be honest when the OP used the word "internship" I thought she was referring to something more organized. But that's why I asked a follow-up question for clarification.

By all means, knock on doors and volunteer, or better yet, try to get paid for what you do. But also keep looking for future opportunities because advance planning pays at this stage of the game.

I will definitely email potential PI's, explore the options I have for PsyD or PhD in the fall (maybe MA if its a year or so), and keep updated on relevant research, etc. I don't know what else I could do at this point. Did you mean something in specific by "advance planning"?

I will definitely email potential PI's, explore the options I have for PsyD or PhD in the fall (maybe MA if its a year or so), and keep updated on relevant research, etc. I don't know what else I could do at this point. Did you mean something in specific by "advance planning"?

Also, as in internship, I meant there are some programs, perhaps 1-2 years in length, that prepare students for graduate school in their chosen area of research. I remember my professor speaking about those, so I was wondering if there was something like that available now.

I agree with Entitlement. Try to stay within Psychology departments, and ask to volunteer in the lab. No offense to other posters, but I don't agree with them in telling you that it's too late. Sorry, but the meek in this world don't get ahead. Be aggressive, but not annoying. Create a strong and short email introducing yourself and background experience. Then tailor it to different PI's. It's just a numbers game-- good luck!

Thanks! Will try my hardest to email and keep emailing. I don't know if they will have availability in the summer, so I was thinking of a specific program tailored to research experience, but will keep looking.

Also, as in internship, I meant there are some programs, perhaps 1-2 years in length, that prepare students for graduate school in their chosen area of research. I remember my professor speaking about those, so I was wondering if there was something like that available now.

The closest thing to that in our field is either taking a full-time research assistant position for a year or two or a doing a master's program. You might do a board search as both paths have been discussed extensively here. Also, do check out the clinicalpsychgradschool.org site as it was created by program directors and is a good general resource.