Summer internship in ireland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tts

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In French hospitals shirts are optional? As in, topless doctors? Why oh why did I never try for a rotation in France as an exchange student;).
To answer your question, for men casual trousers such as chinos or dress pants are both acceptable. No jeans or sportswear. For a shirt (and shirts are definitely required) a shirt and tie would be appropriate. You don't need to wear a suit. White coats are also required. Comfortable shoes are also a must, and socks.
For women (I'm assuming you're a man but you didn't specify - do the women go shirtless also? French hospitals must be kind of interesting places if so) the dress code is a little more loose, since there isn't really a definition of what nice clothing constitutes for women except that jeans are definitely out (most of the time). I usually wore chinos and a nice shirt. As long as you aren't showing too much skin and things aren't too tight you should be OK.
Cheers,
M
PS: Pants go under trousers in Ireland and the UK - that would be underwear to the North Americans out there. Don't call your trousers pants.

Hi everybody,

I am a french medical student and I am doing my summer internship in Dublin at Mater Misericordiae Hospital (department of cardiology)
They told me a neat dress is required so I just wanted to know the dress code in Irish hospitals. Indeed, in France, there isn't any dress code in hospitals and you can dress as you want (shirts are not compulsory and you can wear jeans).
I know that in England, you have to wear tie, shirt and pants. Is it the same in Ireland? Can you wear jeans, polos?
I hope somebody will be able to answer me soon since I satrt my course next week.
Thanks a lot for your help.
Ps: If anyone had experience in this hospital and can share it, it would be great.
Ps : Sorry if there is already a post about dress code but I searched and didn't find any.

Last edited: