Summer internship in the USA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

karenina

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm currently a medical student in the University of Cambridge, and I was wondering if there are any summer internships I could apply for in the USA? Preferably, not not necessarily, in California (I have relatives there)? The ones I've found are mainly for high school or pre-med students, whereas I'm looking for one that current medical students could do.

Your help is very much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

hi Karina , i am currently a medical student en Cuba , i am about to finish my 4th year of medicine and I would like to know about the criteria of residenceship in UK?
may God bless you
hope for your reply

Hi there,

I'm currently a medical student in the University of Cambridge, and I was wondering if there are any summer internships I could apply for in the USA? Preferably, not not necessarily, in California (I have relatives there)? The ones I've found are mainly for high school or pre-med students, whereas I'm looking for one that current medical students could do.

Your help is very much appreciated!

They are referred to as clerkships or electives not internships.

All US medical schools will have a website; do a search on the sites you are interested in for "visiting student electives" (or something of that ilk) for information on what's required. Bear in mind that, in the past, the Universities of California programs did not take foreign students.

There will also be requirements that you are in your final year, have malpractice and health insurance good in the US, and some require USMLE. Housing may or may not be available, but is generally at your own cost.

Start by focusing on some locations you would be interested in and look for schools in that area.