Summer Internship Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anthonyaxe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my second year of undergraduate coursework in Biology, and am currently on summer break. During summer break, I work two jobs, from 8-8 every day. I do this to pay for college. I cant make room for an internship or research opportunities. I volunteer at the hospital when I can. How bad is it going to look on my resume if I dont have an internship or research due to my constantly packed schedule? I have a 3.4 gpa, and I'm worried that I dont even have a shot at medical school. I take the MCAT in 6 months, and I'm super stressed, and my advisors really have no clue about what I should do.

Members don't see this ad.

Most pre-meds do some sort of "research". While not necessary, you would need stronger areas elsewhere; adcoms can also see that you are working full time. Have you thought about applying for a research internship next year? They pay pretty good usually (more than you'd make minimum wage) plus you get research experience.

Note: Your #1 goal right now should be keeping your GPA up.

Reactions: 1 user
Matters little for most schools. GPA and mcat are huge followed by well rounded ECs showing you have been in leadership roles, explored life pathways, explored medicine, and practiced dedicated service to others (especially underserved communities). Work counts and they take into account someone working through school in some ways (shows dedication!). Make sure your GPA and mcat are as good as they can be though. The best mcat is one you take when you are ready, after taking practice tests and knowing you are in the range, and that gets you to a score so you never need to take another one again. So if you are not ready in 6 months it is totally ok to take time to work more, study more, and get yourself to that ready point. Don't let the stress overwhelm you!! GL

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the replies. I will look into a paid research internship, I'm not sure I'm the most qualified to get it though.

Thank you for the replies. I will look into a paid research internship, I'm not sure I'm the most qualified to get it though.
Some specifically target people with little to no research experience!