Summer Internship vs. Clinic Job at Home

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psilovethomas

...so now what?
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a bit of a dilemma. I was recently offered an internship this summer at a non profit animal agriculture education camp. I am really excited about this opportunity, but also have some reserves about not returning home for the summer.
This internship will definitely allow me to gain experience in animal husbandry- definitely something I am very interested in. The pay is good and I will be close to my SO for the summer.
However, I will not be able to return home to Virginia and thus will not be able to work at the animal hospital. The Dr. I work with had a lot of plans for me this summer including neutering our stray kittens, learning how to draw blood and other cool things, and assist in surgeries. My Mom is also giving me a tough time about not returning home and has even thrown the 'you won't see your 16 year old dog again because she will probably pass away soon' card out on the table. This really frustrates and upsets me.
So, do I try something new and take the internship or continue my experience at the animal hospital?

Members don't see this ad.

I suppose it would depend for me on how much veterinary experience you already have. The position at your animal hospital sounds like a great learning opportunity, but if you have already shadowed there most of it may be repetitious.

The animal ag. program may be more fun (way different from school). Plus, I bet you will encounter some LA vets that you could shadow on your time off. However, I don't think it will be as relevant to your future career as the animal hospital.

I don't think you can really go wrong either way. Do you know what type of vet medicine you want to go into? That could sway your decision.

I suppose it would depend for me on how much veterinary experience you already have. The position at your animal hospital sounds like a great learning opportunity, but if you have already shadowed there most of it may be repetitious.

The animal ag. program may be more fun (way different from school). Plus, I bet you will encounter some LA vets that you could shadow on your time off. However, I don't think it will be as relevant to your future career as the animal hospital.

I don't think you can really go wrong either way. Do you know what type of vet medicine you want to go into? That could sway your decision.
Thank your for input.:)
I have worked at the animal hospital for the past 6 years, but I feel like I could still learn more.
As of now, I'm leaning towards large animal medicine, so I feel both jobs are relevant to my career- that's why I am so torn!

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were you, I would probably stick with the animal hospital you are working at. If the doctors at the practice actually plan to let you do these things, it sounds like it would be a great experience for you before starting school in the fall. I personally have turned down other jobs/opportunities because I feel I owe it to stay for the rest of April, May, June, and July before leaving for school. Ultimately, its up to you, but I would stay local to see my family. You could always gain more agricultural experience at school during the semester, or another summer. Good luck!:)

Since you are looking at going into large animal, I'd recommend doing the camp. It sounds like you have plenty of hospital experience. Even though you feel like you have more to learn in the hospital, that's what Vet school is for. We had a heartworm distribution this year and there were more classmates than I was expecting who had never drawn blood or even been taught how to hold a dog to draw blood.

Production experience is something you don't get in vet school though. All of the LA vets I have talked to have said "get as much as possible in your undergrad, you won't get it in vet school." I feel like they have a point. Production medicine is so different than treating the "family child".

Since you are looking at going into large animal, I'd recommend doing the camp. It sounds like you have plenty of hospital experience. Even though you feel like you have more to learn in the hospital, that's what Vet school is for. We had a heartworm distribution this year and there were more classmates than I was expecting who had never drawn blood or even been taught how to hold a dog to draw blood.

Production experience is something you don't get in vet school though. All of the LA vets I have talked to have said "get as much as possible in your undergrad, you won't get it in vet school." I feel like they have a point. Production medicine is so different than treating the "family child".

I would agree. You learn a lot about technical stuff with small animals, but not so much with large animals. And if you've already worked there for 6 years, I think the camp would be a good change of pace and possibly give you some new experiences.

How far is the camp from home, and does it run the entire summer? Maybe you could make a couple of visits back home, or spend a couple of weeks at home before school starts? I'm all about trying to compromise! :laugh:

Just my 2 cents....

I would probably go with the job that paid better (assuming the camp) and that would take me closer to the SO, especially if school would take me away again. You are going to need the $$ in the bank finacially, and the time in the bank for the relationship once school starts....

Just my 2 cents....

I would probably go with the job that paid better (assuming the camp) and that would take me closer to the SO, especially if school would take me away again. You are going to need the $$ in the bank finacially, and the time in the bank for the relationship once school starts....
I would probably make more at home, but my hours are sporadic, so nothing is guaranteed.
Thank you all for your input. I called my boss at the animal hospital and told her I would not be working at the clinic this summer. I will return during winter and the summer break before I start vet school.

I would probably make more at home, but my hours are sporadic, so nothing is guaranteed.
Thank you all for your input. I called my boss at the animal hospital and told her I would not be working at the clinic this summer. I will return during winter and the summer break before I start vet school.

i think that was a good decision! have fun this summer :)