SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ithinkso, Mar 20, 2001.

1. ithinkso

ithinkso Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 16, 2001
    HI i need money and want some extracurri for med school... ANY suggestion??

is it possible for someone with no experience like me get a job as CNA or something alittle more medical related??

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. I've read many of your posts. I only have one question. Are you silver_eyess' big sister?
  4. gower

gower 1K Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York
    Big sister or not, my advice: get a job that pays well and volunteer in a hospital.
    It matters not how much time, the quantity, you put into volunteering, but in the quality of the time you do volunteer: how much you learn about yourself, physicians, patients, nurses, CNAs, other members of a health care team and hospitals. That experience is as much, perhaps even more, for self-knowledge than medical know-how.
  5. lilycat

lilycat Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Aug 12, 2000
    I agree with the mighty Gower on this one -- find a job that provides you with the income you are looking for, and then volunteer on the side. At least as far as medical experience is concerned, I think you will find this much more rewarding and informative. Some training is required to be a CNA, but I'm not sure how much -- of the posters on this board, I'm fairly certain Mango did that, so you might want to try to get her attention. As far as making money, it was my experience in high school and early college that office work and babysitting (no taxes!) tended to pay the best. Hope some of this helps.