Summer JOBS providing Medical Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuturePharm21

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, so I applied to pharm tech/medical related positions, but didn't get a job so I was looking for other alternatives...

Is being a Transportation Aide in a hospital good medical experience, I mean I guess it's just pushing patients to appropriate locations,so I didn't know if I should do it, wanted to get some feedback...I mean it is patient care sorta....but yeah is it worthwhile?

Members don't see this ad.

Being a transporter is rather poor and fairly useless clinical experience, but it's clinical experience, nonetheless. If you really want to dig deep for a lesson, try to comprehend how all of a hospital's different levels of employees interact to make a functioning unit. Gaining a more holistic view of your future profession can't hurt, but there are definitely better things you could be doing with your time. Any position followed by "technician" comes to mind.

i thought you declared your deparature from SDN less than a week ago..... change of heart?

Members don't see this ad :)
He couldn't last a week.

LOL, that was probably one of my alter-egos...u know am i a doctor/pharmacist? who am i lol, now i wanna be a transporter:) isnt life crazy???

and which technician jobs can I apply to besides Pharm tech and Hospital Tech...most of those professions don't hire you without any experience and even if your willing to learn, they can careless, so I have no job and am still looking

My job: to go "wee woo" in the Detroit area. It's alright. Recommended for people who are interested in EMS (not for people who want to think it'll get them into medical school).

I haven't started working there yet, but I just got hired at a private ambulance company. Then again, you need to have taken EMT to do that. It shouldn't be too bad of a job; lots of down time and they'll work around the schedule for my firefighter classes.

Do you want something thats just related to medicine or do you want clinical experience? There are always jobs involving copying and scanning charts, doing secretarial work at hospitals, etc, if you don't necessarily need the clinical hours.

I think it is going to be difficult finding a quality job in a hospital for just the summer. The departments will most likely be leery about putting in the time to train someone when they won't be there for more than a few months. Are you planning on continuing past the summer at all?

I work in an OR as a surgical assistant and will be transferring into an anesthesia tech position in July, and I love it. My roommate recently got a job as a pharm tech at a nearby hospital, but she is also pursuing pharmacy school.

Volunteering at a hospital would probably give you more experience in terms of patient contact etc for the summer months. I know you were inquiring about paid positions, but that might be hard to come by. I hope you find something, though! :)