summer jobs

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by whitesoxfan2000, Jul 13, 2000.

1. whitesoxfan2000

whitesoxfan2000 Junior Member

I am going to be a freshman in college in the fall. I was wondering how important work experience is when you apply to med school. I worked last summer in a grocery store. This summer I am volunteering in a hospital, taking a summer class but I'm not working. Is work experience important when applying to med school? I am very fortunate to be in a situation where my parents are willing and able to pay for my med school tuition. My college tuition is covered by scholarships, so I don't need to work for the money. Will the fact that I don't have much work experience hurt me when I'm applying to med school? Thanks

[This message has been edited by whitesoxfan2000 (edited 07-14-2000).]

[This message has been edited by whitesoxfan2000 (edited 07-14-2000).]

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Arti

Arti Member

Jobs are always better, especcially health care related. Med schools like applicants with experience , it is acctually essential for you to have so kind of experience to set you apart from other applicants. Summer school does pretty much nothing for you. My advice is to drop summer school next summer and to volunteer or work. You can't write in your med school essay that you want to be a doctor because you like calculus in the summer school. It is your free time make the best out of it.

4. mvalento

mvalento Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    yeah, something i wish i had done during my summers off is work as an EMT at a hospital or something similar. however, if those opportunities are not available, you should at least volunteer at a hospital/clinic. if you are not working in the summer, that's more time for you to spend volunteering. unfortunately, i have had to work every summer in less than glamorous positions (e.g. last summer i worked as a machine operator at a metal shop), however one prof. who wrote a recommendation for me told me he liked to see that i had put hard labor in- said it showed that i had character! you never know! anyway, probably the worst thing you can do during the summer is nothing at all. start volunteering as soon as possible! good luck.

5. whitesoxfan2000

whitesoxfan2000 Junior Member

Thanks for all the responses so far. I just wanted to clarify something. It seemed like one of the previous posters thought I was just doing summer school. I am doing summer school and I am volunteering. Thanks for all of the advice