Summer Jobs

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by AYV, May 11, 2008.

1. AYV

AYV

Pre-Medical
    What do most people here plan to do for the summer?

I'm taking several courses at a community college but I hope to get a job at Best Buy to make some cash. Don't really feel like working in a lab or hospital. Had a job at a lab this past semester and honestly found it tremendously boring.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. futuredrcrawfor

Pre-Medical
    I am also taking classes (at the univeristy though) but I will continue working as a nanny this summer- I have 2 families I sit for- have one I have been with for almost 4 years and the other for 3 years. It is pretty good money and the families I sit for are more like my family now that an employer.

4. ChubbyChaser

ChubbyChaser Yummmy

Medical Student
  5. seven87

Pre-Medical
    Summer research internship... should be fun!

6. Caesar

Caesar In Memory of Riley Jane
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    taking two classes. and maybe tutoring Organic Chem I.

7. zpiff

zpiff Spaceman

Medical Student
    I am doing paid research at a large pharma company and hopefully volunteering at a local clinic. Also spending a week working on a public health project and doing some shadowing. Hopefully with all that I won't forget to apply to medical schools...

8. Insulinshock

Insulinshock Class of 2022

Resident [Any Field]
    Waiting tables at Applebees :thumbup:

9. pakbabydoll

pakbabydoll Average student

Pre-Medical
    Summer A= SMDEP
    Summer B= Chem 2, shadowing, working , volunteering, and preparing for MCAT.

10. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna

Fellow [Any Field]
    screw best buy man...if you want to make some serious cash you have two really good options:

1) valet parking - i made between 15-25 dollars an hour every single time i worked

2) pizza delivery......seriously a gold mine. and its the probably the easiest job ever. the company will pay for your gas, and often times youll actually make money cuz they pay you a fixed rate no matter what the distance.... usually you don't end up wasting as much gas as they give you money for. its pretty sweet. i'd come home with 60-100 bucks in tips depending on the night.

11. bigman225

Lab monkey and volunteer

12. silverlining1

Medical Student
    Work-wise: teaching MCAT physics (haha), continuing research
    For fun: learning to scuba dive and cook!

13. Insulinshock

Resident [Any Field]
    Aren't you a freshman?

14. Doctorverardoll

Fellow [Any Field]
    I just moved to NYC, so that I'd be settled by the time med school starts! So I'm hostessing in Midtown Manhattan and avoiding the area when I'm not working (I prefer Brooklyn and Queens).

It's funny, all my coworkers are model/actors/singers and then there's me.

15. fxny12004

Medical Student

i was a freshman a yr ago too, doest mean we cant study for mcat, as a matter of fact, i already am. WTf is ppls problems with other ppls business. I get pissed when the (youre a freshman, you cant study for the mcat) phrase gets tossed around. that is why PAk will prob end up with more interviews and acceptances than you will.

(sorry if i sound angry , i didnt mean to be hostile so my apologies, but it makes my blood boil when freshman are underestimated.)

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Insulinshock

Resident [Any Field]
    I think you misunderstood me. While I would be surprised to see a freshman studying, as I think it would be hard to retain the information a year and a half before the test, it was a genuine question :).

18. silverlining1

Medical Student
    I don't think that it's an issue of "underestimating" freshmen at all. I agree with Insulinshock that it would be very difficult to remember the information for over a year unless you're using it on a regular basis (in classes or research, perhaps). Maybe getting comfortable with taking the test and discovering the strategies that work well for you are benefits to studying so early.

It's just not typical to hear of people starting to study so early, which is the reason for surprised responses. We don't think you're incapable at all. In fact, it kind of makes you look MORE capable because you're tackling it so early =p People (and I) would generally recommend other priorities during the summer after freshman year, like getting a job, doing research, volunteering, and mixing in some fun. Many people that age are probably still trying to decide if they're sure about medicine, so studying for the MCAT wouldn't really be appropriate. If you've got some spare time to study for the MCAT, cool - whatever floats your boat - but I personally don't think it's a good idea to prioritize studying for the MCAT so soon.

Sorry for the lengthy and potentially unclear response, but I wanted to explain why there's surprise about freshmen studying for the MCAT.

19. silverhorse84

Resident [Any Field]
    I'll probably spend most of the summer (and then all of next year) working at least 2 jobs...I like being an EMT, but it sure doesn't pay a whole heck of a lot :oops:

20. Doctormo24

Doctormo24 Senior Member

Pre-Medical
    summer research internship at UVA

21. Del Griffith

Banned

Pre-Medical
    Summer Camp Medical Director by day. MCAT studyholic by night. Gonna be a fun summer.

22. fxny12004

Medical Student
    oK I SEE your point, i do agree that in no possible way the info retained at such an early stage is going to be forgoten by the time of the MCAT. However, if the concepts are fully understood and thoroughly reviewed now, the chances of remembering what is important in the future exponetially increases as one will only need to skim through the material. I dunno, thats just the way i feel.

once again sorry and i forgive you if you forgive me :p lol

23. RoadRunner17

RoadRunner17 Fleet of feet
    Moderator Emeritus

You guys are freshmen, deal with the hazing! ;)

24. AYV

AYV

Pre-Medical
    I wouldnt mind doing either of those. But Im not looking for anything too substancial as Im also doing 15 hours of summer school. Just trying to find something to do when im free.

25. JRock310

taking 2 summer classes (medical ethics and calculus) and nannying

preparing for orgo/physics on the side...:scared:

26. 45408

45408 aw buddy

Resident [Any Field]
    I did landscaping every summer during college, and I was an EMT for the second half of college (including the summer).

27. Insulinshock

Resident [Any Field]
    When did you find time to work as an EMT? I REALLY want to get my license, but I don't want to spend a G, and countless hours, to get my EMT-B and only be able to work during the summers (assuming nobody will hire me during the school year because of my lack of availability).

Care to share when/ how you worked, and how flexible the job was?

28. milliya

milliya Soon To Be Saving Babies

Pre-Medical
    SMDEP, volunteering, visiting various family and friends (including my new god daughter!), and possibly a diversity leadership program thingy...

29. SB100

Resident [Any Field]
    NIH internship, anyone else coming down to the D.C. area?

30. 45408

45408 aw buddy

Resident [Any Field]
    I spent $80 total - for my textbook and my CPR mask. I got a local ambulance company to sponsor me for the other $700.

Then I got hired with a private ambulance company that let me work PRN. They'd call and ask if I could work a shift, and it was totally at my discretion whether or not I'd take it. I would usually work a 24-hour shift on a Friday or Saturday, and I would sometimes do overnight shifts. I did that for a big chunk of my junior year in college prior to applying, and then I continued it during senior year. I let my license lapse during M1, but then I renewed it and worked between M1 and M2, and then I worked for giggles and thrills on random weekends throughout the school year of M2. Now I'm going to let it lapse again.

31. milliya

milliya Soon To Be Saving Babies

Pre-Medical
    i hope you have fun! i almost did the one in LA but having to pay for my own room and board was more of a hassle than i wanted...

32. Insulinshock

Resident [Any Field]
    Wow. Good deal. Thanks man. :thumbup:

33. olemissbabydoc

olemissbabydoc Baby Doctor
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    I got a job at the university, working in financial aid. I've workstudied/ grad assisted in admissions for years and something came up in an adjacent dept for more money this summer. next fall illl go back to grad assist.

I'm pretty excited. btw that and shadowing I will have a full time job. :)