summer jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patch_o

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a second year pre-med student, and I am unsure as to what type of job I should pursue. Volunteer, nursing home, research, I have no clue. Any recomendations or stories of what they did would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Try your premed office- ask them for information on summer programs for premeds in your area. You can also check the MSAR (available from the AAMC), which, in addition to listing medical school requirements, lists the various programs that are available to undergrad premeds. These programs are best done (in my opinion) during the first or second summers of college, although I did one just before my senior year. There is also the MMEP program which is a national summer program for minority students (www.mmep.org)

However these types of programs usually don't have a large stipend, so if you are looking to make money your best best is to become an EMT (once you are an EMT you can get a job at a summer camp as a first aider, or you can work for an ambulance), or phlembotomist, nurses aid, or if you are thinking at all about research in your future, get a summer job through a local medical school or research university as an assistant. Your premed office can usually help you get contact for that as well.

Hope that helps, feel free to email me if I can help any more.