Summer Jobs??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

safireflame

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a freshman this year, working towards premed. I have been told it would be in my best interest to get some type of summer job in the medical or research area. I was just wondering how many people REALLY get these kinds of jobs. I volunteered at the hospital for a majority of my high school career and was planning on returning to it; however, I must also have a paying job so that I can pay for school. I just don't know where to begin searching. If anyone can help me here it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Safireflame

------------------
"Love is like a flame burning a hole through my heart. Love beseech me and forget me not; burn with in me for while you are there, there is no limit to my accomplishments."

Members don't see this ad.

I agree that a volunteer position is just as valuable (if not more so) on your med school application. Many medical schools view the idea of medicine related work/volunteering outside of research to be exposure to patients & the "doctor-patient relationship." You don't have to be in a hospital to get this. Think about hospice or a nursing home - these are the most challenging experiences & will likely give you experiences & genuine insights that others won't get. Good luck.