Summer MCAT Prep while doing internship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aynbia

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was hoping for some advice on my plans for prepping for and taking the MCAT.

A little about me: I'm a 3rd year undergraduate (planning on taking a gap year) and by the end of the semester I will have taken all the courses covered by the MCAT. I did well in all those courses, but I feel like I forgot most of the content (especially physics). I have had very bad luck in terms of doing research during the school year. For reasons beyond my control (professor retiring, professor out of funds), I have only spent segmented semesters doing "research" in different labs and accomplishing nothing. Currently, I am trying to get into an agriculture lab that I washed dishes for in the past. The summer after my freshman year, I did do some cancer research as part of an internship program. I do truly enjoy the entire process of research, and really want to accomplish something. Nonetheless, I feel like my research experience is pretty weak and so I really want to do research this summer.

I recently accepted a research position for the summer as part of the NIH-SIP program. My main concern is that I'm unsure about whether or not I can fit in studying for the MCAT during the summer and taking it in late August while doing the internship. I don't live in the area, so I assume I'll be spending most of my time off from work alone (no significant distractions). I suppose I can try to squeeze in some studying during the current semester, but I'm taking a heavy courseload and I don't think it would work out well. Do you think taking the MCAT in August is a bad idea? I'd rather not take it in the winter, since I'd like to know my score before selecting schools to apply for.

If any of you think I can pull it off, do you have any advice as to which prep book to purchase and study from?

Thank you so much for reading my long post, and thanks in advance for your advice.

TLDR: I want to do the NIH-SIP internship and study for the MCAT at the same time, then take it in late August. Am I going to fail?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are not applying this cycle, then there's no need to worry about August v Jan '18. Content is less of an issue. As someone on here, or reddit said, the AAMC/MCAT is no longer looking for Anki and wants Einstein instead.

Thanks for the interesting comment. I'll focus more on practice. I have some 4th year friends applying right now, so I thought it would be nice to know my MCAT score when I'm in their position.