Summer Medical Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mustangsally65

Sally 2.0
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've applied to a couple of summer enrichment programs for people who want to go to medical school in case I don't get in this year. I was wondering if anyone else had attended these and how you felt about them.

Do you think it made your application stronger? Did you do it at a med school, and if so, did that school accept you after the program (assuming you did well, of course)? Any recommendations if I get accepted to one of these programs?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

hey

i'm not sure which program you're doing, but the ones i've done are geared toward disadvantaged/urm students (that's not to say that they don't accept others)

1. UCLA PREP - good program, GREAT CONTACTS...i think this is the reason i have an interview there
being an undergrad. at ucla, i was able to visit the office quite often...letter of rec, personal statement critique, mock interview, etc.

2. YALE SMEP -met some great people, again good contacts. my primary purpose for this was mcat prep...WHICH I FELT WAS AWESOME

NO matter what prog. you do, keep on meeting people, especially at medical school fairs. I met someone from dartmouth medical (DMS) who now is really pushing for my app. He's critiqued it, recommended it to he ADCOM, referred me to the Dead of admin. etc.
I never realized what a vital role these recruiters can sometimes play

Also, there are some SMEP sites that do look favorably on those applicants that were in their program...ie. interview, acceptance.

I THINK ALL THESE PROG. ARE GREAT!
Good luck

I did two summer programs, both were great. They were both at the University of Rochester and I had great experiences there. However, as for helping my application, considering I was outright rejected from that school, I don't know. They wouldn't even accept an inquiry to ask why -- stupid school.
But I did love the programs. There is free housing, research, and seminars, and a stipend for the summer. If you have time and don't mind traveling, I recommend them.

Otherwise, try the NAtional Science Foundation's REU programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
xxbruinxx said:
hey

i'm not sure which program you're doing, but the ones i've done are geared toward disadvantaged/urm students (that's not to say that they don't accept others)

1. UCLA PREP - good program, GREAT CONTACTS...i think this is the reason i have an interview there
being an undergrad. at ucla, i was able to visit the office quite often...letter of rec, personal statement critique, mock interview, etc.

2. YALE SMEP -met some great people, again good contacts. my primary purpose for this was mcat prep...WHICH I FELT WAS AWESOME

NO matter what prog. you do, keep on meeting people, especially at medical school fairs. I met someone from dartmouth medical (DMS) who now is really pushing for my app. He's critiqued it, recommended it to he ADCOM, referred me to the Dead of admin. etc.
I never realized what a vital role these recruiters can sometimes play

Also, there are some SMEP sites that do look favorably on those applicants that were in their program...ie. interview, acceptance.

I THINK ALL THESE PROG. ARE GREAT!
Good luck

SMEP in general is a good experience wherever you go

I spoke to some students at a med school I interviewed at who had participated in the summer program at that particular school, and they said that the program wasn't only for URMs and disadvantaged students, but for anyone else who wanted to apply. So I thought I would give it a shot.

the SMEP is not exclusively for minorities anymore, i do believe. When I participated in it, it was known as MMEP and for minorities. I did my program at Baylor COM/Rice University. It was absolutely great and I met some great people and influential contacts. (I just got notice that I was accepted there, too.) I did three summer programs all together. another one was at University of Florida. It was a NIH program and a great research. My last one was at LSU-New Orleans, which I was part of NCI and a great opportunity.

All in all, any extra experience that shows that you're dedicated to medicine would be great. When you are willing to spend your summer in a lab or classroom instead of relaxing, i think it says a lot about your desire. The experiences you get are also unmatched. If you know a school where you might wanna go, you should look into whether they have a summer program and try to make the most of it. get to know members of ADCOM, get to know students, get to know how the school will fit YOU. Whether or not that particular school chooses to accept you or not, I think the programs are great. Chances are there is some school that will welcome your extra effort.